Harpy in Mythomorphia Plus Happy Mail Pencils!

A few weeks ago I finally got hold of a copy of Mythomorphia.  I have to say I LOVE this book.  Mythomorphia features Kerby Rosanes’ quirky art style but with less of the swarms of doodle characters (which i do love too, by the way,) and  more fully finished pictures with backgrounds included.  Mythomorphia is filled with pictures of mythical creatures just as the title suggests.  My middle son, Chayton, who has a passion for mythology, and I had a lot of fun looking through the book and naming each of the creatures.  Chayton corrected me with the snake haired lady.  I didn’t realise that she was a ‘gorgon’ and not a ‘Medusa’… ‘Medusa’ being the name of one poor, unfortunate woman who was turned into a gorgon by an angry god. He got all of them , by the way, except for the tree lady… we weren’t sure what they were called… I thought ‘sylphs’ or ‘nymphs’.  Any ideas?

Googling sunsets for my fussy bird.

Amongst all the lovely fantastic creatures I spotted the picture of the Harpy and knew straight away which one I wanted to colour first.  Myra, my personal harpy muse, would not be happy to meet this brash young squab.  I think she would chase her out of her territory quick smart!  This young bird lady was a nuisance, refusing to tell me the colour of her feathers and I had to colour the background first before she was assured of my colouring skills.  The background was blank so I decided to add to her dramatic pose by creating a sunset complete with purple clouds.  I did a little googling of cloudy sunsets to get a feel for the right colours.  Finally she informed me that her plumage was brown with black, green and yellow tips.

These are the pencils I used to colour her.

I coloured this picture completely using double ended Colleen pencils.  I have this thing where I like to challenge myself to produce good work using cheaper pencils.  I really want to finish a pic using only children’s crayola’s or Faber Castell Classics.  I also have an impressive, huge set of Crayola Escapes sent to me a while ago by a lovely lady Doreen.  She sent them to me in a nice little case and even included a hand drawn colour chart! Thanks Doreen for those.  I’ve never seen them in Australia and I’m not sure they’re even available here.  Such gorgeous colours!  I’ve tried them already and they are good pencils for their category.  A have a few little test pictures (my own art) coloured with them and I’m getting confident enough with knowing their individual personalities to move onto one of my precious colouring books with them.  Stay tuned.

Beautiful Crayola Escape pencils. A gift from Doreen in the US.

1. Samantha G

My book came last week, and I have to agree that I love it too. I think you will find the names of all the creatures under their thumbnails in the answer section. I have not ever seen the crayolas you got. Do they perform differently from the crayolas you tested out in your first pencil comparison video? I don’t know why I am even asking this, as I already have enough sets of pencils. About six months ago I got myself a set of Marco Renior pencils, which are the next grade up from the Marco Raffines. The Reniors are much softer leads than the Raffines. I was hoping they would be the same colors as the Raffines, but the aren’t. Nice pencils, though.

Hi Samantha. I bought the Raffines when they became a thing on the colouring groups I frequent. I liked them but nowadays I find them a little hard for my taste. i use them when I want a softer effect. I haven’t tried the Reniors though.

1. Samantha G

Yes, I bought the Raffines when you told us you bought them, and I,too, find them too hard. But I do love their colors. I saw the Reniors on a youtube video review by Marty Owings of Owings Art and decided to try them. They were about $45 US for 72 pencils. They are oil base and almost as soft as my Prismacolors. They need a light hand to layer well, as it is easy to apply too much quickly. As I use my Prismas a lot, I don’t mind this.

2. Uli

love this book too and thanks to a coloralong in May on instagram even finished a few pages including a double spread ???? I usually use mixed media as I am still too heavy handed with only colored pencils and luckily it works great with watercolor pencils and watersoluble oilpastels. your picture is absolutely awesome and motivation to use my colored pencils again

3. Samethana

I love your harpy and I absolutely adore the background. You add sooo much to a picture with something so simple <3
    The tree lady is called a dryad (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dryad)

YES! Thank you. I knew there was a name for her. I must tell Chayton. Thank you for the complement. Sometimes i leave the background blank. It depends if I have a strong feeling for what needs to be there and I saw her against a sunset.

4. Astrid

The tree lady is a Dryade(not sure if I spelled it right as I have the French version), it says in the back of the book all the names of each character.

5. Mari Brady

Dear Peta:

While you’re working on Part 2 of the Grasshopper tutorial I’ve been coloring two pictures from Magical Jungle: the Panda bear and Toucan. Can you tell me how to get a rich black effect on their bodies? Pencils, even multiple layering, isn’t giving me that richness I’m looking for. Would markers be better and if so which ones and what size tip would you recommend?

It’s so good to have you back!

Mari

Hi Mari. Sorry for the delay. For some reason I didn’t see your post. Bad Peta. For making true black on your art work i recommend either a Black Pitt Pen manufactured by Faber Castell. use over an area you have already shaded black with a light to medium pressure on the pencil. You can also use a black Posca pen which is very popular with colourists for obtaining a true black.

1. Mari Brady

Dear Peta:

Thank you for getting back to me, I’ll purchase the FC Pitt Pen. My Toucan turned out beautifully using Prismacolor violet blue. The beak with all its colors was the most fun to do. Thank you as well for the suggestion of getting the 30th Anniversary Edition of Exploring Color Workshop. What a huge help that has been. You’re the best!

Mari

6. Amanda

In the back of the book is a page with all the names of the creatures. I love this book, i realy dont like this is his last
    Coloringbook.

Oh she is so magnificent Peta! I’m going to copy this fabulous work as I adore your take on this drawing. I totally forgot your website and was on PATREON and YouTube along with Instagram. Bad Lo. :))

Cheers and thanks for all your help.
    Lo

8. Brandy

Please, please, please who us how to do the clouds and sunset! I am buying this book. Well, actually my husband is for our anniversary lol – Who needs jewelry right? But, I gravitate to nature quite a bit, and I am by no means a professional artist. Everything I am learning, I’ve learned from you, and I color purely for the joy of it. However, I suck at drawing, but I would like to at least be able to do backgrounds. Like your clouds, sunsets, etc. I am trying to do a series of light houses for my mother and many of the pages I am finding do not have backgrounds. I would love to be able to do these clouds in the background. And if you or anyone else know of a coloring book with good, realistic lighthouses please let me know. I’ve been through 3 books so far. I’m not thoroughly satisfied. Thank you so much for your videos, coloring keeps me sane. lol.