New Update. Dagdrommar work in progress.

Hello everyone.  It’s been a long time since I last posted here.  There have been a number of personal reasons for my unannounced disappearance.  I thank you all for your concern and well wishes… what a fantastic, supportive group of people my fellow colourists are!  Thank you everyone for your thoughts and well wishes.  I am in the midst of a challenging time at the moment which limits what I can do in regards to colouring. Neither-the-less I haven’t stopped colouring, even though I’ve had to cut back a bit.  But I want to share with you what I have been up to in the hobby.  Some of you may have seen my recent Instagram post of Johanna Basford’s frog picture from Enchanted Forest.  I’ll post that one up here shortly with a bit more of a detailed description of how I went about colouring it.

But for now I want to show you what I am currently working on.  This is the Snake Charmer picture from Hanna Karlzon’s classic Dagdrommar book.  Dagdrommar is one of those books that I keep returning to.  I have Hanna’s Magical Dawn and Sommarnatt books and her next book on order from the Book Depository.  But I find myself unwilling to dive into them with my pencils at hand while there are so many gorgeous pictures in this original book begging to be coloured.  You may recognize this picture from my face and hair tutorials on YouTube.  it was my intention to finish the book under camera so that you could see how I went about the background.  Unfortunately that didn’t happen and I’ve decided to finish it off camera, so apologies to anyone waiting for further tutorials.  Anyone who has any queries about my colours and techniques leave a message below in the comments section and I’ll try to help.

I have continued to use Faber Castell Polychromos pencils exclusively with this picture with the sparkly bits being rendered with my favourite white gel pen the Uniball Signo.  The background that I am currently working on comprises of: violet,light violet, light magenta, crimson, earth green and juniper green.  I layer several colours over each other to get that lovely mottled effect and create a gradual ombre effect down the picture.  I am a little bit undecided about the rest of the foliage on the facing page at the moment so I will leave the plants until I have an epiphany.  I plan to stick to a purple/ green/ orange/ yellow palette but we’ll see.

1. Stina

Welcome back. You have been missed a lot. Take your time to get 100 % in heart and soul. I miss your tutorials mega much but your well being it what matters the most!

Hi Stina. my life has been a bit complicated on late and I still have a path I must travel until I’m well again. But I hope to get back to this wonderful world of colouring as often as I can.

2. Anita Smith

Peta, welcome back! So many of us have missed you. I went on YouTube a couple nights ago to see if you had done a tutorial I had missed out on. I was praying for your well being. Due to a bad shoulder injury, I have not been coloring much myself. Instead, I began acrylic painting, and thanks to your great tutorials, I learned so much about colors and blending, etc. I can’t thank you enough. My love for art has continued to grow to the point of me selling my paintings now. It’s mainly to friends, family and acquaintances. I’m also using my knowledge to learn water coloring as well. The inktense tutorials came in handy. You have touched so many of us and it’s wonderful to see you back. Look forward to seeing what you have done lately.

Hi Anita. I have a tutorial and a few other videos I hope to upload soon… my husbands has been working hard editing them. Good luck with acrylic painting. I could never get the hang of them, probably because I’m so used to watercolours and they don’t work the same way at all. Thank you for the praise (blush). It’s fun to be back.

3. Melissa

Sooo excited to have you back!!! Hope all is well with you and your family. Love the background! Light violet is a discontinued pencil, so have started to hoard them ???? Looking forward to seeing absolutely anything from you!

Oh my goodness is it?! I didn’t know. Thanks Melissa. Now planning to raid the local art shops!

4. Lone

Welcome back. I really missed to follow you here and there. Your work inspired me to start colouring and your turtorials have given me the courage to experiment with colours.
    I wish all the best in life.

You’re welcome. I hope to update with new content as often as I can.

5. Wendy Wilkin

I was wondering what had happened to you, Peta!
    I have a few tutorials saved under Favourites on YouTube! Still going to tackle the Duck Pond tutorial you did!
    So pleased to see that you are still around! Wishing you strength and peace & praying you will soon be your ‘old’ self again! You have been missed!

Thank you Wendy. I missed doing this. Good luck with the Duck Pond.

6. Libby Rollins

Oh my goodness I am so happy to ‘see’ you! I have missed you! Please take care and you are in my thoughts and prayers!

7. Connie

Glad to see you are back. But don’t rush things.Slow & steady wins the race. We love you & have missed you but we aren’t going anywhere. Prayers stills coming at ya!

8. Yvonne Davidson

So happy that my favourite colorist is back. Take your time getting back to full strength. I did your famous Duck Pond tutorial and it is one of the few pictures I hung on my wall. You give such great advice in your tutorials that’s one of the things I missed. Also how are your wee ratty pals 🙂 x

Hi Yvonne. Glad you enjoyed my duck pond tutorial. With so many tutorials now available on YouTube I’m always pleased to see mine being used, thank you. Aiko and Emi are still with us… rats have such terribly short lives and these girls are around 21 months old. Emi had a mammary tumour removed a few months ago but she’s recovered well and is still as bossy and cuddly as ever. Aiko has been battling pnuemonia which has left her very thin and we thought we were going to loose her but she’s hanging in there with a lot of warmth and love and a whole bunch of medications which she hates. She’s starting to put a little weight back on and demanding treats again so we’ve got our fingers crossed.

9. Joyce Ferrone

So happy to see a bit from you. You are so special to so many of us. I “found” you last spring shortly after I started to color. I watched every single video you had done and learned so very much from them. Love and prayers coming your way. We will eat up whatever you can share but encourage you most of all to take care of yourself (heart, body and soul)????❤️????????

10. Bennie

It is so good see you are back! It’s funny how you don’t personally know someone but you actually miss them…love your tutorials. I have learn so much from you. Take care of yourself.

11. Lora

I just discovered your tutorials on You Tube recently and they are just mesmerizing. I do hope you are feeling better soon and while you take time for your health I will enjoy all the video’s you have shared. I have been drawing zentangle pics for years using watercolor pencils and copics for coloring, but watching your videos inspired me to start buying coloring books and dip my toes into improving my coloring techniques! Thank you so much for your hard work putting these tutorials together! You are an amazing teacher. 🙂

12. Hannah

Hi,
    So glad to see your back, sorry to hear you’ve not been feeling great. I hope you get well soon!
    Been missing your videos a lot as I find them so informative and helpful to a beginner like me. I’m 13 and have learnt so many tips
    from watching your tutorials and book reviews. You are a fantastic teacher, thank you so much for all the help you have
    provided me. I love adult colouring and always love to improve and develop my skills and learn new techniques, as well as discovering new books and materials and you have helped me do just that.

You probably already know about these books but I thought I’d like to mention them anyway as you may enjoy them. Some of them aren’t available yet until later this year.

.Ivy And The Inky Butterfly by Johanna Basford
    .Tideav (seasons) by Hanna Karlzon
    .Romantic Country, a fantasy colouring book (1,2 and 3) by Eriy
    .Tenderful Enchantments by Klara Markova- illustrator of Magical Delights
    .Millie Marotta’s Beautiful Birdsand Treetop Treasures
    .Johanna Basford’s Colouring Canvas’s

Thank You once again and hope you get better soon!x

13. Theresa Petermann

When someone goes missing without explanation, I start sending out thoughts and good wishes figuring they are facing some challenge in their life. Glad to see you here again and hope with time you are where you want to be. Love what you have done with this page so far. Will keep watching to see what’s next for you. thanks as always for sharing.

14. Susan Toper

So wonderful to see you’re back, have missed your tutorials dreadfully. Hope things continue to improve for you

15. AnnW

Seeing you back has made so happy that I begin to realize it need to get a life! ???? Being retired isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. I am glad things are getting better for you!

16. Denise S

Peta, so good to see you again. I didn’t know why you have been absent so I’ve been sending you luv and well wishes. I’m glad that things are getting better, and will continue keeping you in my prayers.

17. Patricia(UK)

Wonderful to see you back Peta you have so inspired me with my colouring.Thank you and all my best wishes go to you for a happy future.

18. Jennie

So excited to see your new videos. I was having a rough time last year, when colouring was helping me keep going, and I used to put them on to fall asleep to. (Sounds insane to listen to colouring, but listening to you colour and talk about what you were doing was one of the few things that helped me relax enough to fall asleep). I’m through the other side now but hope that people have been there for you as you were for me, even without knowing about it.

1. Lynn In Colorado

I also find watching coloring videos very soothing.