Video Tutorial. Part 3 of the Jellyfish Tutorial in Lost Ocean.

The long awaited part 3 of the jellyfish tutorial is now live on YouTube.  It has been a long road getting this video ready.  As you may know my husband does all the editing, cutting out rubbish, clean up and adding the titles and music to my videos.  He has been very busy of late and the time he has available to dedicate to this is not as much as we would like.  We got there in the end.

This video is an optional step for people who would like to add a background to their work.  I explain a couple of pencil ideas you could use and demonstrate a pastel technique as you see in the picture above.  thank you all again for your patience.

1. Ann Wooten

Oh yea, I can’t wait to get started! This must be why I woke up at 6am today! ?M thank you Peta & thank your husband too! ?

2. BigT

Just lovely. Thank you for all the non-pastel background ideas. Great for those of us who can’t handle the dust and fixative. I’m going to try the wavy background. Because I tend to get shaky lines, I invested in an 18″ flexible ruler that I can mold into the shape I want and then trace along. No more long shaky lines!

3. Kristy Tyra

I can’t wait to watch it!

4. Debbie

Oh Peta! Magic bubbles! Made me smile so big watching the bubbles appear. Thank you. Beautiful work as always. Please thank you husband for his dedication also.

5. Mari

Dear Peta:

This tutorial was worth waiting for. You made the background magical and it’s one I can use for other Lost Ocean pictures. Thank you!!

Can you recommend a good sharpener? The points on my pencils tend to smudge if I press harder which is why I asked if you had used fineliners for the edges of your flowers on the title page of Magical Jungle.

All the effort and time both you and your husband put into these tutorials is greatly appreciated. You make a lot of people very happy. Thank you.

Mari

1. Shilpa Jonnalagada

I recently purchased a Dahle 133 sharpener and absolutely love it. It produces a point so fine and sharp that you could poke an eye out! It’s a long point sharpener and it’s adjustable to give you either a long, sharp point (for small areas) or a shorter more blunt one (for larger backgrounds and such). I’m not sure where you live or how expensive it would be but it’s perfect for my Albrecht Durer and Polychromos. It can take oversized pencils as well, so that’s a plus. The blade is removable so you can clean it when wax builds up but sadly the blade assembly is not replaceable (available in the professional version but it’s more expensive).

1. Mari

Thank you. I live in New York and will look for the sharpener you use. It’s frustrating to have the tip either break or smudge. I appreciate your help!

Mari

2. BigT

Amazon US carries the Dahle 133 personal for about $17. And the 155 professional for about $21.

I have the Derwent manual helical sharpener which costs about $$23 but doesn’t have the features of the Dahle sharpeners. It is reliable and makes a nice long point….too sharp and long if you’re not careful.

When the pencils get too stubby for the big sharpener, I use a little Alvin Kum Long Point hand sharpener to get that last little bit of goodness from the pencil before I have to throw it out.

I’m a Prismacolor fan and they are notorious for breaking as you sharpen. I’ve never had one break in the Derwent and hardly ever while using the Alvin long point.

6. Bobbi

Thank you so much, Peta. I appreciate all of the hard work you and your husband put in to share your talent with us. The picture is beautiful. I still need to finish part two on mine, but I’m super excited to see the final step.

7. Tricia

I have waited patiently for this last video, and it was well worth the wait! Thank you, Peta, for teaching. And thank you to your husband for editing your video tutorials to perfection.

8. Coral

Thank you, Peta! Your bubble background is beautiful! I guess it’s time to try out my pastels.

9. Phyllis Stuart

I loved this video with the magical bubbles. Mine didn’t turn out as good as yours I guess I couldn’t see my white outlines as good as I needed to so I didn’t put enough bubbles in some places. Plus my pastel chalk stained my border & I’m not sure why that happened. ? Thanks for the tutorial. It will go better for me next time.

10. Sylvie Dufour

I’m so Please Peta you’ve choose this Jelly Fish because i didn’t have a clue of how colors this guy could of be,lol! thank you for this excellent series of three,i’ve learn so much and you know i always say you are an excellent teacher and you prouf that again by explain the other way to do the Background for the one like me who dosen’t have pastels or prefered not to and i did mine after i’ve bought my stencils and i love the result what is very cool too is you explain after you do your colouring and when you change idea for your colour pencils well you stop colouring explain the process and you continue your colouring so Big Thank’s Peta & your Husband for the Hard work you do to Help & Please so many Peoples like me….

11. Coral

Thank you so much, Peta! I love your bubbles!

12. Cleo Fraser

Love your video, Peta. Always lots of little Tips, helping people colour better. Appreciate the time & effort you & your husband put into making this great!