Battle Angel

Hi again. Back with another picture from Jasmine Becket-Griffith Coloring Book. This is one of her Edgar Alan Poe series. I completed this one last week and forgot to add it in my previous post. This poor little angel looked so sad and exhausted i couldn’t help but come up with a back story for her.  I often do this when I’m drawing or colouring a person.  I developed her back story in my head that she is a warrior caste angel has been in battle with demons and is taking a breather between skirmishes. So I had to bloody her up a little. I gave her black wings as a nod the Jasmine’s original idea of the picture being based on a poem featuring a raven.  And possibly also because I’m watching way too much Supernatural. 🙂  Prismacolor premier pencils for the entire thing because I like the way they perform on this paper and I want to get to know them as well as my Polychromos pencils.  my expensive pencil sharpener means I nolonger have to constantly contend with broken cores and that makes them a whole lot more pleasant to use.

1. Natasha

Beautifully done Ms Peta!!! It’s funny to me that you mention “Supernatural”. I am re watching the series from the beginning on Netflix and always have it on while I color in my room!

Just of late me too!. I am currently half way through season 9.

2. Melissia walker

That’s my show too, i love watching in the morning as I’m coloring along with you in my phone?

2. BigT

I love this. Great back story too. I’ll have to wait on these pages so I don’t end up cloning your work. I like to try to learn from what you do but still put my own spin on it.

3. BigT

Oops!! Meant to tell you, when I get down to the stubs on my Prismacolor pencils and they are too short for my big Derwent sharpener, I use a Kum long point manual on them. I rarely get breakage with that and it allows me to get down to a stub about an inch long before I have to give up on the pencil.

4. Pattie

Hi PETA! Greetings from Southern California☀️! I’ve been following you for quite sometime and I so look forward to your post, videos and product reviews.. Recently you have mentioned your “expensive pencil sharpener” helps prisma leads not to break. Which one is that? Mine break all the time. I’ve tried to “heal” them, by popping them in the microwave for a bit.. But nothing seems to work..

Warmly,
    Pattie

Hi pattie. My pencil sharpener (that my wonderful husband got me) is a staedtler Mars 501 180. It is a hand cranked grinder style sharpener so it doesn’t ‘torque’ and snap the pencil cores which often happens with ordinary sharpers and prismacolor pencils.

Oh she’s gorgeous. I used to write in another life and Supernatural is one of my favourites as PNR and fantasy is my thing so this really captures my imagination. I ordered the book but it’s taken a sweet time arriving :(. I was so lucky with my Prismacolors until yesterday. I added Dahlia Purple from an eBay seller as she has no postage on singles and dammit I lost at least half and I just know I’ll lose the rest. One out of 80 – so far – seems acceptable so to be honest I can’t justify yet the cost of that great sharpener you have Peta. I use KUM and I must say they’re great as I do have a large assortment of sharpeners and find KUM the best. But if I kept having this problem I’d buy it in a heartbeat because the cost of these pencils is frustrating when you lose them to breakages,

1. Samantha G.

I got a Dahle 133 for about $13 on Amazon (crank grinder style) and it works great on all my pencils, especially my Prismacolors (I have managed to collect 114 of them so far). I also love Dick Block for art supplies.

1. Samantha G.

That’s DickBlick.com love them!!!

6. Lectus

I have Prisma colored pencils, and polychromos, and Koh-I-Noor but my coloring comes out nothing like yours! *sigh sigh sigh…

7. Kelly

Hi PETA please could you give me a tip on how to do the wings. I’m scared I’m goin to mess mine up ????