Magical Jungle. First Double Page Spread.

Busy week this week put I have still made time to finish this pic… which I intended to have done by the release date.  This is the first double page spread in Johanna Basford’s Magical Jungle.  Coloured with FC Polychromos and Prismacolors.  I decided to do a bit of a light gradient with the waterfall in the sunlight and the elephant hidden behind the shadow of the cliff face.  I decided to colour all the leaves in as many different ways as I could think of. I decided to add texture to the cliffs around the waterfall as they looked a bit too flat and featureless for me.  I’m really looking forward to seeing what other people come up with colouring this picture. 🙂

MJ_DoubleSpred01B

MJ_DoubleSpred01_sml

About the colouring competition gallery.  I need my hubby’s help to update it with the missing pictures so I it will be done this weekend.  (Tried it myself and got completely confused… I’m glad I have him to help me with the technical bits.)  The third part of the Jellyfish tutorial is still being edited.  We hope to have it up next week so we can move on to the next tutorial.

1. Carla

This is beautiful! I hope you have a video on adding texture to the cliffs or can give some tips on how to do this! Thank you for sharing your work!

I’ve been pretty distracted in RL at the moment but I’ll see what i can do, along with a tutorial for the waterfall.

1. kate

Ohhh pfffffffffffft, you can’t have a RL! What about the colouring books that should be your main priority in life :p Hope things settle down for you 🙂

2. Samantha G.

Thanks for posting this picture. You always seem to read my mind. This week I was stumped for colors for leaves and as usual I don’t think outside the box well. Love love love your many unusual combos on the leaves, especially the blue/fuschia and the gold/violet combos. Also really love the parrot! Beautiful job as usual!!

Thank you. Feel free to use any of the combos you see in my work, I’m not precious. :). I know it takes away from the relaxing experience of colouring if you get stuck for how to colour something.

3. Kelly Wolf

Peta, I love your coloring! You have helped me tremendously. Thank you!
    I had a question on using soft pastel for backgrounds. Can you use the pastel over a finished piece in marker or pencil? I was wanting to add backgrounds to some of my finished pieces. 🙂

Yes you can if you do so by rubbing in soft pastel dust or pan pastels. If you seal the pencil work by burnishing it with a blender pencil or just by pressing hard with the colours then it should resist the pastels so that the pencil colouring doesn’t become covered with the pastels.

1. Kelly Wolf

Ok. Thank you!

4. Lana

Amazing leaves, amazing water… Thank you so much, Peta, for sharing this beauty!

5. BigT

Fantastic! I love how you’ve made the crocodile show under the water. The waterfall is great too.

I don’t know when I’ll get to it but I received my copy this week along with my copies of the English language versions of Daydreams and Summer Nights.

I actually finished a book this week (not one that you’ve reviewed). I immediately started on Escape to Christmas Past from Good Wives and Warriors. After you did the review on Escape to Wonderland I purchased a copy of each of their books that were available. And I have Escape to Oz on my list to pre-order. I love that the format is just small enough to be portable.

I’ve been experimenting with different things to do backgrounds because pastels are problematic for me. Amazingly, I’ve had the most success with the USA’s most common art supply, the Crayola crayon. I’d love to see what you would do using the common crayon for background work. Of course, crayons are not lighfast or anything, but in a coloring book, that doesn’t really matter too much.

Really looking forward to your next video.

What a brilliant idea. i didn’t think of crayons. I’ll have to try them out. I’d love to see what you come up with. And i love the art style of Good Wives and warriors. I’m thinking of purchasing the Oz one although i decided against the Christmas one. I’m an odd bod in that i don’t feel right doing Christmas-sy art outside of the season. I have Lizzie Mary Cullen’s The Magical Christmas which I’m waiting for next November to start in so i think that will be all the christmas colouring I need. Okay, with the exception of Johanna Basford’s book. 🙂

1. BigT

I’m going to try to finish a good number of pages in the book before this year’s holidays so I can make it part of my Christmas decorations along with the small collection of other Christmas story books that I have. Because I am in the habit of making most of the gifts that I give, I typically start working towards Christmas in July.

I’m still working on perfecting the crayon background thing. As soon as, or if ever, I get one that I’m really satisfied with I’ll try to send you a picture.

6. Michelle Wadeson

Wow! Just love your work PETA and I especially love how you have coloured the elephant with all the different texture. Would love to see how you did that on video – please.

1. BigT

Me too! Me too!

7. Rachelle

Hi Peta, will the next colour along be from Magical Jungle? If so, could you let us know what picture it is so we can save it for the tutorial. Thank you for all your hard work, I love everything you post!

How did I miss this? I’ve had your blog opened at the black background deciding it was time to branch out. Near impossible to find the huge Pitt Indian Brush pen. Still looking for a reasonable price not the rip offs I’m encountering.
    Silly me not renewing the blog for new articles.

What a glorious magnificent colour you gave this double spread.
    Peta you keep blowing me away. You just want to make me a better colourist. I followed your face painting and I can’t thank you enough for teaching me so much. I did pretty good apparently for a first timer.

Will you be doing Copic art? I now have so many but would love to see what can be achieved when your hand touches them,
    I love using many mediums in one piece.

Again many thanks to a great artist who takes time out from RL for us. I do hope it gives you a break soon ??

9. Pat English

I really love your colouring and am totally addicted to watching as many of your posts as I can. I use an iPad mini so a bit small but still good. You have taught me how to get the most from my Polychromos pencils which I’ve had for some years but not done much with. I have the 120 set plus a few odd ones I bought from Seniors when I lived in Melbourne. I’ve recently found and bought Lost Ocean book, thanks to your advice.
    Have you tried the Kew Gardens Gardening books? I’ve just started and finding the paper tooth a bit smooth.
    Thanks again for your excellent tutorials.

10. Paula Puffer

Beautiful job on the Macaw. Love your work–very inspiring

11. Jo

hi Peta,
    Love Love Love it!! I was just wandering which page from the magical jungle you will be doing for tutorial as I don’t want to accidentally colour it.
    Thanks x

Hi Jo. I’ll be doing the tiger picture picture, starting filming next week. Videos have been slowed down a lot as my husband, who does all the editing, has been snowed under with work of late. i have about 5 videos filmed that are still being edited, including part 3 of the jellyfish tutorial. Hopefully things will start to clear up soon and we can get back to a regular schedule.

1. Jo

Thanks for replying, I totally understand how busy you must be, I just wanted to make sure I didn’t accidently do it, I don’t mind waiting, the best things come to those who wait!
        Thanks again to you and hubby.

2. Rachel

Hi Peta, love your videos and your blog! These pictures are amazing as usual.

Did you see that Henny is working on the tiger? Any chance you’d consider another page, one that hasn’t been done yet? I love your tutorials /color alongs since I can’t pick colors to save my life lol! Cheers from Canada.

12. Preeti

Your work is just SO AMAZING!!! Every time i think this is your best picture the next one totally floors me. I always look forward to your tutorials and am super excited you will be doing one picture from the Magical Jungle!

13. Maja

I love your videos BUT…… Can you be kind to write text of what color and pencil your using in videos you will post in future?

We’re many deafs / hearing impaired weren’t able to follow your videos because we can’t know what pencils you was using..

14. Susan Toper

Hope all is well with you and your family and looking forward to your next tutorial

15. Norrie

Oh, this is so cool!
    I just got my Prismacolor set (132) and can’t wait to try them in this book. (Need to get the book though). I’m always intimidated by the leaves and try and do all of them in the same way. But in your picture they just seem to work anyway, although you did them differently.

I look forward to the waterfall tutorial 🙂 That’s another thing i’m scared of doing…!