Colouring Tutorial: Jellyfish in Lost Ocean. Parts 1 and 2

I have a new colouring tutorial for you.  Well… it isn’t a new one exactly… part one has been up on Youtube for several weeks, but I have just posted part 2 so I thought I would post them together in the one announcement. 🙂

This video tutorial covers the colouring of the border and jellyfish in Johanna Basford’s ‘Lost Ocean’ colouring book.  In it I complete the picture itself.  so if you like your version after completing these two videos then do feel free to stamp it finished.  A third video which I am designing will go into creating a simple coloured background with pastels as well as suggestions for alternative backgrounds using coloured pencils.  Enjoy. 🙂

Jellyfish Part 1.

Jellyfish Part2.

Another wow. You do such incredible work Peta. Thank you for showing us how to do such fabulous colouring. This is one drawing I will follow to w tee.

2. BigT

Beautiful.

I love the colors you chose for the tendrils.

3. Bobbi

Thank you, Peta! I’m so excited to finish my jellyfish.

4. AnnW

Is there another color I could substitute for the Dark Flesh? I have more Prismacolors than Polychromos. Thank you so much for all that you do!

Hi Ann. i think the Prismacolor ‘Pink’ is the closest I can see to dark flesh. the Pink is a little cooler but it’s about the same saturation and tone.

5. Jo Wood

Yay now I can get on with my jellyfish which has sat impatiently waiting for me to get back to it. I am really getting in to pastel backgrounds, I have been practising on some of my first colourings which aren’t as good just in case I messed it up but so far they have turned out great and really make the colours in the picture pop out at you. I was wondering if u could suggest a colour for the background of a picture I’ve just finished. It’s the Mec man next to the one you coloured (I have done that one too) I have used a triad which u will know is 2 sets of compliments, so I’ve used yellow and violet and orange and blue, oh and a couple of greys for the wiring etc, everything is done with those colours but I’m unsure what colour would go best as the background, I would really appreciate any suggestions from yourself and your followers if you could spare a minute to reply. Many thanks once again for your wonderful tutorials xx

Hi Jo. Is there any way I can see the pic. I think my choice of background colour would be greatly influenced by the tones and colour distribution. I’m thinking perhaps a dark desaturated blue but I would have to see your work to be sure.

6. Jo

Oh and for anyone like me who doesn’t own this book and don’t really want to buy the book if u look online there is a free download of this actual picture so u can print it out and do the tutorial without buying the book. It has the full permission of the author Johannna BASFORD so is perfectly legit and in line with copywrites etc
    So happy colouring peeps.

7. Denise

You have broadened my coloring possibilities and was wondering what Aqua brush do you recommend for the inktense pencils? I will be getting them for my birthday present to myself. Thank you for your help ?

My favourite aquabrush is the Kuretaki Zig fine point. i use this for almost everything with Inktense. I have the medium point if i want to do larger areas.

8. Summer

Hi Peta, I have been following your youtube channel for a while and I really like your coloring style. I was wondering if you’ve heard about the coloring book ‘Romantic Country’, I really like this book and want to see how you would color it. Do you have any plan to review and check that book?

9. Joyce Ferrone

Hi Peta
    Just an observation, but I think it must bother you a bit if people use your tutorials to create a picture much like yours, enough so that it is clear they did the piece using your tutorial, and they don’t give you any credit. No mention at all as though they did this lovely piece all on their own. I see that most mention you but those that do not are deceptive if you ask me. I know you do this for the love of it, but I also see how you always give credit to the artist who created whatever you color. Same thing in my mind. I just don’t think it is right. There!! I got that off my chest.

Hi Joyce. I appreciate everyone who gives me credit for their pieces that they colour using my tutorials. But I guess i understand that some people don’t understand this curtesy and, for me, I accept that if i put a colouring tutorial out there I don’t mind so much if some people don’t credit me with their creations on line. it is nice when they do. On the other hand, if I see a direct copy of my work which i haven’t used as a tutorial… say one of my pictures here that they have simply copied and they don’t give me credit for the original colour scheme… to me that is theft as the picture wasn’t known as a tutorial. Be clear I do not mind at all if people do this, only i don’t like it when they go on to post their finished piece online as if it was completely their own ideas. It doesn’t happen very often that I find a picture like this. The majority of people who use my work for their own are nice enough to say something about the original colourist. I have twice drawn heavily from someone else’s design and in both instances i gave them full credit for it.

10. Gabriela Peterson

Can’t wait for Part 3!
    Gorgeous tutorials and a huge fan!
    Your work, and talent is incredible!
    Thank you, Ms. Hewitt!

11. Trish

Love these tutorials and reviews of the books as well. When is part 3 of the jellyfish going to be up? Thanks.

12. Phyllis Schnell

Hi Peta, I am an avid follower and student of your work. I have bought many, MANY pencil sharpeners since I’ve ventured into this new art addiction. However, the staedler sharpener you show in the video looks perfect but I have tried in vain to locate where I might purchase it. Can you lead me down the right path? Thank you in advance and please know how very much your followers love your work and how you teach us. Hugs across the pond!

1. Jo

I love my electric sharpener, it even sharpens my prismacolor pencils with no probs! Also the way it sharpens your pencils means it takes less off and makes your pencils last longer without loads of waste.
      Mine is the ics9 iCare Sharp, it has 3 sharpening lengths and is easy to use, comes with a plug or you can use batteries. I got it from Amazon UK for £20GBP.

13. Chellia Humphrey

Peta, when do you think your video of the Jelly Fish part three will be posted? Anxiously waiting.

Hi Chellia. i am so sorry about the delay… my husband has been very busy of late. the video is now live on my YouTube channel.