Dingo in Imagimorphia

One more in Imagimorphia before I turn to the small pile of books that I need to complete pictures in to review… (well this and a couple in Dagdrommar 🙂 ).  So many books to colour, so little time.  I have The beautiful ‘Come Home To Colour’ and the Jasmine Beckett-Griffith colouring book very kindly sent to me by Tiffany for my birthday along with two printed art canvas’s… Thank you again Tiffany, I LOVE them all!.. that I am just dying to colour AND Magical Jungle is on it’s way too.  And I won’t mention (but I am) The Magical City and Enchanted Forest, my two favourites, are eyeing me from my book shelf waiting for their turn to come up again.

I_Dingo01

But t’dah!  Finished this one is Kerby Rosane’s Imagimorphia.  This double page spread is classic Kerby style with a large animal swamped by lots of doodle characters and appears near the back of the book.  I picked this one because I felt like colouring plants and i haven’t seen this one done yet.  I was going to colour the head as a fox as that seemed to be what kerby was aiming for but one evening I had an epiphany and thought ‘Dingo’.  Seeing as I’m on an Aussie kick why not colour her as our native dog.  The shape was just about right.  i decided straight away on the most common yellow variety but dingoes do come in a range of colours from pale cream to black. So here is my Dingo picture.

The pictures was coloured entirely with Faber Castell Polychromos pencils with Mungyo pastels rubbed into the background with a makeup pad and sealed with Micador Fixative Workable Matt.

Dingo_Small

For a bigger picture of the two side together visit my la-artistino FaceBook page.  I can’t post the big version here due to size restraints of this page.

1. Ikke

I realy love your work!!!!

2. BigT

As always, simply beautiful.

I love the background, but can’t handle the technique….pastel dust…..spray fixative…wheeze….wheeze.

So…I’ve invested in a small set of Prismacolor art stix and a couple of art stix blenders, I’m going to try them for background work on the page I’m working on in Animorphia.

Art stix are like Prismacolor pencils in square pastel shaped sticks, they match colors in the Prismacolor pencil line but allow you to cover a lot more territory than a pencil very quickly.

I’m coloring the page with my new discovery, Prismacolor Scholar pencils, student grade Prismacolor pencils, a little harder and less saturated than the Premiers, but the same great color line. A set of 60 (the full line plus two white and a black) runs about $30(US). They are sold in sets only and no lightfastness information is provided but, you know, it’s a coloring book, it’s not going to hang in a museum. These may be ideal for people who are a little heavy handed and have trouble with the softness of Premiers; and they are several really big steps better than the “bargain” style pencils at a decent price.

Good grief, I sound like an ad for Prismacolor…..shutting up now.

1. Brazokie

Please do tell how those Prismacolor sticks turn out. I also cannot do the pastel technique, would be interested in an alternative.

1. BigT

Unfortunately, my first attempt did not go well. I had difficulty getting a smooth, light application of color with the stick. Even after blending the effect was somewhat blotchy and grainy. I ended up going over it with white to smooth it out and that made it a little better. I didn’t quite ruin the page but I am not satisfied with the result. I would have been better off leaving the background uncolored.

I may have to find a mask to deal with the pastel dust and have someone else do the fixative spray for me (I hate that). I do own a whole bunch of pastels, they were one of my favorite mediums to work with at one time but as I aged my tolerance for dust and chemicals decreased.

1. Tammy

You must use a fixative with the art sticks too. They act just as pastels do, and if not sealed, the color will rub off. Why not just get a respirator mask to use? Might be a very simple fix to your issue! Hardware stores sell them, but my favorites are masks (particle respirators) from a medical supply.

3. Kira

You are truly an inspiration Peta.
    I am learning as much by looking closely at your work as I do from the tutorials.
    Thank you.
    You are so right so much to color and so little time. Also excited about Magical Jungle
    Thinking about getting the UK version from Wordery. Wishing….

Thanks to BigT for the info on the Prisma color scholar pencils will certainly look into those.

1. BigT

You’re very welcome. I was really impressed with those pencils.

I can relate to the so many books thing.

Peta is the best. I learn something new from each of her works.

Magical Jungle, yes! I pre-ordered it months ago along with the English versions of Hanna Karlzon’s books. I can’t wait for them to arrive.

2. Relaine

The prismacolor scholar pencils are good, you can sharpen to a very fine point, but the core is harder and blending is not so easy. I find I end up going to my premium white or the blender to get the finished effect or burnishing blend and fill in the “white paper spots”. That said the colors match the premium colors exactly, so the scholar pencils are really great for the fine details in some of our books that are hard to stay within the lines with the softer pencils.

4. Mona

Peta….You make coloring seem so effortless 🙂 I am always in awe of your pages! Your choice of colors is something I just can’t get a handle on 🙂

5. Samantha G.

I’ve done the horse and the chrysalis so far and am working on the T-Rex now. One of the things I love so much about this book is how he made the chaos a little less chaotic by making many of the elements follow a “theme” on many of the pages. Really enjoying the prehistoric doodles on the Rex page and am eyeing the Chinese elements on the Panda page! Thanks for sharing this one, as I couldn’t decide if this was a fox, a wolf, or something else.

6. Uli

absolutely beautiful as all your work. love your tutorials and reviews as these give so much inspiration and actual help for me as a “beginner” ?

How did I miss this? How glorious these colourings are Peta. You just blow me away more and more and give me such inspiration. I recommend you to new colourists all the time and their improvement is so obvious. Thank you so much for taking the time with us and for us?

8. Jo Wood

This is beautiful Peta, truly stunning (as all your work is).
    I have my copy of the magical journey, I bought it as magical city is one of my favourites, but I have to confess to being a little disappointed in this one. For me there are 2 many drawings with a figure of her and her dog in it, and although they are very cute I just don’t think they look right in the pictures, I don’t like how she draws the unicorn in a couple, also there is 2 much writing in the drawings, like lists and things which I also thinks ruins the effect overall a bit. On the overhand there are a few which I really like, just not many. Of course this is just my opinion/taste, you may love it as everybody is different and like different things.
    i have just finished doing my first Patel background after watching your tutorial on it. I chose a picture I had already coloured (one from a few months ago when I had just started in case I ruined it) in glitter gel pens and added a lovely light blue background with a darker blue in the corners. I love the way it turned out, it really made the colours pop and stand out.
    Thank ŷou for being a great teacher and true inspiration.

9. Jo Wood

Sorry just read my comment about the magical journey book and it sounds a little petty, the magical journey is a lovely colouring book and I am sure most people will love it. Sorry if anyone thinks I was a bit rude or petty, it’s just my opinion.

Hi Jo, not at all. Everybody has their own preferences and it’s fine to speak your mind. I haven’t got Magical Journey yet as I am waiting for the Australian publication to come out in August. (The Aussie paper is a tad better with water based mediums like Inktense.) I will get it as these aspects don’t particularly bother me. But I do value your opinion and thanks for sharing.