I have been wanting to try out some watercolours in Dagdrommar ever since i had such encouraging results on the recent testing of the English Dagdrommar/Sommarnatt paper. A couple of nights ago I pulled out my Twinkling H2O’s and my Koh-I-Noor brilliant watercolour wheel to have a play. Being a watery medium I gravitated to the Sea Goddess picture in Dagdrommar.
I was pretty certain that a little watercolour wouldn’t harm the paper and I was right. I started by colouring her hair in a mixture of shimmery green shades. Keeping the paint fairly dense and being cautious with the water and moving around the picture to let areas dry without becoming heavily saturated resulted in the paper staying perfectly flat with no buckling. Beautiful so far. Then some madness came over me and I decided to try colouring her face with the H2O’s… Huge failure! The colours did not want to play and the mica made getting an even layer next to impossible. Grrrr! I was filming the process for a future speed colouring and at this point I almost gave up and turned the camera off. But I’m stubborn and I decided to try a different tactic before throwing in the towel on this one.
I got out my Prismacolors, my densest pencils. If anything was going to hide that horrible blotchy mess this would. It took an hour and some nervous decisions but I managed to get her face into some sort of order that I could live with.
Happy at last I put away the Prisma’s and got out my FC Polychromos to continue pencil shading her hair and add some depth to all the cream yellow sections.
I debated on colouring the fish just with the Poly’s but then I decided that i REALLY wanted to do more watercolouring. So this time I broke out my Koh I Noor Brilliant watercolours and lay down a base colour on every fish and sea shell. The paper took this fairly well although i found it starting to buckle. I think this was due to the fact that I was trying to create light colours with more water and less paint. I liked the result but it has left the paper permanently rippled. 🙁 It’s not noticable until you look at the back of the paper. Still not bad enough to stop me colouring the images on the other side. One other thing was that very deep, rich purple did end up bleeding through a little when I tried to dilute it on the paper. My bad, I was getting too over confident.
After painting each of the images I went back to the Polychromos pencils and started to enhance the colours and shading to give everything more dimension. I used a white Prismacolor to add highlights as well as a white Uniball Signo gel pen for all the little sparkles. I also broke out my Micador paint pens for more colours. These paint pens are marvelous… lots of lovely acrylic paint with a fine tip. I also enhanced her eyelashes with a black fineliner. Around this time the white back ground was starting to get to me. I got a light yellow pot of my Twinklings and painted around the outside of the Sea Goddess. I did plan to add some shading but I decided against it as I liked the way it looked as it was. Now all that watercolour over such a large surface caused the paper to buckle like crazy. It flattened out somewhat but there is still a ripple. I am currently squishing the book against some others to further flatten the page. But in truth it doesn’t worry me. I’m very happy with how this picture turned out and I’ll be using this combination of techniques again in my books. (Except for colouring the face with twinklings… that was bad. 😉 ) Watch out for the future speed colouring of this piece.