New Rig for Filming!

Gone are the mallet and the box of marbles, gone is the camera balanced on a scarily tilted angle and the fiddling around at the start of each filming session to get the lighting right and everything in line.  Thanks to my wonderful hubby I now have a permanent, secure rig with new lights and camera mounting that I can set up ready to go in minutes!  The lighting problem has been solved.  I can film at night or even mid winter!  No more waiting for the sun to be at the right angle to cast the light and no more cancelled filmed days due to dreary rain.  The next question is whether to paint it (what colour?) stain it or leave it as it is?

1. Russell Ball

G’day Peta!
    I would stain it similar to the dining setting. Then it won’t look too out of place at your Christmas lunch 😉 No seriously it is a great rig. Well lit and stable. Keep up the great work both of you.

2. A Ludlam

I am so jealous!!! That is wonderful. All that glorious light. Hug the man!!!

3. Fenny

This is wonderful Peta, thanks to your hubby..! Now you can work better, nicer and everytime you want. Great.

4. Jo

This is wonderful. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your videos. I learn so much.

5. Patricia Shaffner

It’s a fabulous set-up. Thanks for your videos – you got me hooked on coloring and I love it.

How wonderful! You have such a sweet and supportive husband. I’d probably stain it a color similar to the wood in your home. 🙂 Looking forward to many more videos!

7. KATHY WEBER

I say you leave it as is BUT whenever you color as a few strokes of whatever color you are using on the wood. By a years time it’ll be interesting and unique.

Love what you do, thanks for taking the time to teach and inspire

I still think you are the best on YouTube

8. Sandra Morris

Great set up, well done to your husband!

9. Astrid S

I’d paint it white to reflect lighting at best, or at least the inside parts. It’s a great setting, congrats!

10. Nancy Lynn Kenny Monahan

Wow Peta….what an awesome set up…..all the gorgeous light!!! I am at the point of quitting because of the light issue (and my ageing eyes don’t help the situation either)! I have yet to find lighting that I like and have already spent too much money on light fixtures that I’ve ordered from the U.S. (I’m Canadian so sending it back defeats the purpose). I’m at a crossroad….urrrr! That being said you’ve convinced me to keep looking until I find something that actually works, ie some good natural lighting.

I’m a brand new subscriber to your YT channel and literally just started watching today. I’m off to “binge watch” the rest of your tutorials.

Thank you so much Peta….I’m learning so much from you and have only watched 3 of your tutorials!

Finding good lighting is an awful problem. I know exactly what you mean! I have age related vision impairment which infuriates and frustrates me no end, especially as I had 20/10 vision only a few years ago… better than normal vision. Grrr. Just ask any of my family about how much I moan about having to wear glasses now. Anyway it has taken me almost a year to solve my lighting problem. The new rig is perfect because the light comes from both sides I cast no shadows. Good luck with your search. one tip that might be helpful… i bought a pair of pre made glasses from a pharmacy that was one grade stronger than I would normally wear. i find this helps over come vision problems when working on a colouring page in less than ideal light.

1. Jennifer Lori

Please please PLEASE don’t do this! I’m a long-time reader of your blog, Peta, and I love your videos, and I would hate to say anything to cause trouble but…

I’m an optician by trade. I have no financial gain in where you buy your glasses (I’m in Canada!)but I could not forgive myself if I didn’t try to protect your eyesight.

Wearing readers stronger than your true RX is SO HARMFUL to your eyes. You are actually making your eyes worse faster, the immediate appearance of a benefit is not worth it in the long run.

Also, pharmacy-style readers (available at pharmacies, dollar stores, etc, any pre-made readers that don’t come from a reputable eyecare professional) are illegal in most states and provinces. They are still sold, but are SO BAD for you. They are mass produced with centers that are rarely centered, which means you are looking through the wrong part of the lens. Additionally, it is pretty uncommon for people to have the same rx in both eyes, and those readers, even if centered by coincidence right over your pupils, and even if the lenses are actually well-made… are always the same on both sides.

I probably won’t convince you to give them up but at the very least please don’t self-medicate by going stronger than prescribed, it will only cause problems and worsening vision faster than nature and genetics would have.

(ps I’m really not trying to cause trouble, I’d understand if you want to delete this message. I’m just trying to look out for you and keep you able to color your gorgeous pictures as long as you can!)

1. Hubby

Yes I agree and I am dragging her screaming and kicking to see the optician today. Allowing her to take some colouring books with us makes it easier.

And he did. I have a two week wait for my new prescription multifocals. Should be interesting. I have not used multifocals before. I am looking forward to no longer swapping between my reading and long distance glasses every few minutes.

1. Jennifer Lori

Oh *whew*, I was worried you’d be mad at my comment. I hope they work out for you! The most important thing with progressives is to remember to move your HEAD, not merely your eyes. The glasses should remain put on your face and you aim an invisible arrow out of your eyes at where you want to look, so if it’s something in the distance, but on the floor, you need to lower your head to look through the distance part at that object. Lowering merely your eyes will put you in the midrange, and then reading zones, and the object won’t be clear. For coloring, however, it should work fine to be able to look down at the coloring through the reading zone and glance up through distance at a monitor or tv or reference material. Anything past your fingertips counts as ‘distance’ so have hubby move stuff around while you’re seated until the (tv/monitor/ipad/etc) are at comfortable locations as you look around and then you can work without straining. (IE: a common complaint is difficulty with a computer monitor… because people forget they can move the monitor back an inch or so and be seeing it properly and comfortably.). There are also many multifocal contact lens options which make it easier to glance around. Good luck!

Hi Jennifer, no worries. I know what you said was exactly true. I had been putting off going to the optometrist because of the expense. My new multifocals will be ready by Monday. My optometrist explained about learning to move my head and not my eyes to focus just as you wrote. 🙂 I want to try and avoid the disorientated feeling that many of my friends had when they first wore multi’s, I think that is what put me off them before. But I’ve been assured that once you know how to use them correctly they are so much better than normal glasses.

2. Becky

I too had the same problem and it was driving me nuts. No matter where I was in the house there wasn’t enough lighting. I got a Ottlite and that solved the problem. They make all sorts of different ones, but this is what I got and I like how it is very adjustable. http://products.ottlite.com/p-92-marietta-table-lamp.aspx I live in the US but I would imagine that you can find them in Canada too.

11. Blonde Woman Stamping

This setup looks AWESOME, Peta. Congratulations! your videos to date have been so wonderful and beautifully lit. I look forward to even better quality with this rig.

12. Emma

Peta! Don’t throw your cream stump away (recent video). I’m going to keep my stumps in a jar! Might take a while ?

I’ve got a little jar. I like that idea. I was thinking of collecting enough of them and getting someone to drill a tiny hole in them and making a bracelet.

1. Shyla

Perhaps, collecting all your stumps and creating a mosaic out of them? Using all the different colors, then post us a pic! Maybe of a favorite coloring page item!

13. Becky

Very nice. Your husband is so supportive of you and I love the little cartoon at the end of your videos! Tell him well done from all of us!

14. Phyllis Stuart

Congratulations on your new rig!It’s great! Tell your husband how much we appreciate what he’s doing for us by doing for you! I also understand about the lighting issue. My kitchen table is the best place for coloring right now which is sometimes an issue too. I feel very blessed by having found your YouTube channel & blog. Thank you, Peta.

15. Tracy

What an impressive set-up! How long before the ratties are using it as a jungle gym?

I like Kathy W’s suggestion to color or a paint a bit whenever you work there and eventually the framework will evolve into its own work of art (doodle on it, etc.) 🙂

They already do. :). Emi likes to take tissues out of your hand and build a nest behind the monitor. It’s a fun game with her running back and forward to snatch fresh tissues. She doesn’t try to take them herself but waits for you to hand them to her.

1. Tracy

Awwwww….how cute! And she’s so POLITE about it 🙂

1. Jo

would love to see a video of Emi doing that!

16. Rebecca McMahon

Woah! Now that’s a serious setup!!

17. Ginger A. Burkey

I cant express my gratitude for all your wonderful videos! I watch and rewatch them everyday! I absolutely love your new lighting system! And thanks to your hubby as well for doing such a great job! I think it would look beautiful stained.
    Oh! You might like to hang your pencil stubs as ornaments on a Christmas tree!

Keep up the good work, you coloring goddess!

18. Chris Sadler

Awww! He sounds wonderful. I would paint it as a fantasy grotto so all the people and animals you have created in your colouring books are all around you. Please can we see it when it’s done!

Chris

19. tracy hampton

Nice set up! Even nicer is your hubs for caring so much to make this for you (us)! I joined the coloring world about a year ago but started coloring seriously for about 4 months now. I’m an addict! I love it. Coloring has saved me. I love your videos and I especially love your voice. It’s lovely and very nice to listen to. About your new set up, why don’t you paint some vines and little critters on it? Use lots of color over a white base. Keep up the fantastic work! Are you going to review the secret garden any time soon?
    Thanks for all you do!

Tracy

i do have a copy of Secret Garden but i haven’t done any colouring in it as yet. Too much colouring too little time. 🙂 it is on my list. Great suggestion, by the way, thanks. 🙂