New Colour-With-Peta Tutorial: Using Inktense in The Magical City.

I have spent most of this week working on a new tutorial series for my colouring channel on YouTube.  Unlike the duck pond series which I filmed at a rate of one update a week, I decided to film all of the episodes over five days.  I wanted series to be complete before the first episode aired.  This time I decided to grant the numerous requests I have had for a Derwent Inktense pencil based colour along.  And there have been many people asking me for one.  And I understand why.  While there are quite a few Inktense tutorials online most of the ones I’ve found seem to relate more to colouring stamped work or a few lovely floral paintings.  There is so much more that these amazing pencils can do.  As you can see by my previous pictures from The Magical City, these pencils really shine in colouring books.  I’ve been really stoked to see quite a number of other colourists jump on board with using Inktense in The Magical City with wonderful results. 🙂   Now I know some of you have bought a set… maybe played with it a little and then left them on the shelf as they’re a bit of a puzzle to figure out how to use.  Well now it’s time to drag them out and give these little beauties a really good work out!

Paris02

This three part tutorial will go through the basics of how I apply the colours, how I mix them on the colouring page and my thought process on how I go about choosing what colours to use.  I talk about light and shadow and how to place them to give your picture that wonderful three dimensional look.  In part one we will colour the back ground: the sky with it’s swirly clouds and the tree on the left of the page.

Paris03

Part two will concentrate on the building itself.  I explain how I went about researching the building and how I chose the colours based on photographs of it.  The lessons here should help you with colouring other buildings in the book.  Part three completes the foreground elements.  I talk about ‘Chromatic Perspective’: the art of using colour to give the illusion of depth.  And finally those fun sparkling touches with a white gel pen.

We hope you will enjoy this series.  It is currently being edited (right as I type, our rendering computer behind me is halfway through the second rendering of the first episode.)  If all goes to plan it will uploaded onto YouTube in the next couple of days.

Paris

1. Helen in Wa

Good grief! this is amazing. What a talent. This leaves me speechless Peta.

2. Melvina Christina Grose

Week! I’m so excited for another tutorial! This time using intense! Oh how I can’t wait to finally use my inktense pencils. I am so very excited for this tutorial. I’m looking forward to it.

3. Katrina Turner

I am one of those people who purchased a set of intense pencils/blocks. I tried them but was not sure I liked the outcome so I for one am looking forward to watching this video series, thank you for all your time and effort and to your husband for his role in the production.

4. Judy Burkhard

Fantastic. I could spend hours going over your wonderful colorings.

5. AnnW

Yea! I am so excited I can hardly wait! ? Thank you so much you are a wonder!

Ann

Eeeeee! I am so excited for this tutorial! You are so good to us. 🙂 I absolutely love what you did here. Stunning. You are truly a master colorist and a master with Inktense. I don’t know how you do it. I’m one of those people who bought a set of the pencils, tried them quite a few times, but I just cannot get the hang of it. I love them, I just wish I could unlock some of your magic. I cannot wait to follow along with you and hopefully finally get the hang of using them. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us, Peta. 🙂

7. Monika

I am also looking forward to watching your tutorial! I also bought a set of inktense pencils and watched some of the tutorials on Youtube to give me an idea of how to use them, but cute greeting cards just aren’t my thing. 😉 I have given up on them in the Magical City for the time being, I just feel that I enjoy this book more using my polycromos pencils, but I am definitely ready to give them another go. At the moment, I am using the inktense and my other watercolor pencils in my nature themed coloring books and I must say that I am really pleased with the results. The colors are just stunningly beautiful.

8. Sandra Morris

I purchased Magical City and a set of Inktense after seeing one of your speed colouring videos. I sat at my table with them in front of me, water brush pen in hand and didn’t have a clue what to do with them. Away in the cupboard they went, until now! Thank you for doing this tutorial Peta, I can’t wait to colour along.

Thank you, Sandra! You are exactly the person I am aiming this video at. I hope it lives up to your expectations and gives you the knowledge you need to start colouring with these wonderful fun pencils. 🙂

9. Connie Mckeag

Peta, you are the best! I’m very excited to see the tutorial. No matter what we ask you for, you find the best ways to show us.

10. Clare Friend

Oh I can’t wait for this series. Thank you so much.

11. Paula Puffer

I am currently working on a simple page with my Prismas and try as I might, the blending leaves a lot to be desired in the larger areas. I wonder if the Inktense pencils would be better for those areas. I have a 24 set.

12. Vanessa

Hi Peta, I can’t wait to see your new videos, I love your Inktense videos and the rest of your other videos. I am currently just colouring with Polychomos but looking forward to get some Inktense for my birthday. Are there any other colouring books that you recommend for Inktense water colouring?

Hi Vanessa,
      I think books which feature pictures that contain largish spaces to colour would do well. Legendary Landscapes and legendary Worlds… both feature wonderful scenes would be perfect. Millie Marotta’s books may be good if you look at all of her fine line art as texture and don’t aim to colour it individually. I wouldn’t recommend it to do massive areas such as a full sky as the inktense leaves a rather blotchy covering as it dries too fast to spread it around evenly. Test the paper before hand as it may bleed through to the other side. this does not happen in The Magical City but does happen very slightly in another of my books ‘Escape to Wonderland’.

1. Dina

I’ve had good luck using my Inktense pencils in Creative Haven’s Entangled Dragonflies, as well as several of the “Color Me…” books – I have used them in Color Me Calm, Color Me Happy and Color Me Stress Free. I LOVE THESE PENCILS! 🙂 Can not wait for the color along to come out for The other Paris page in The Magical City.

2. Vanessa

Thanks for your advice Peta! I hadn’t heard of Escape to Wonderland so will look it up 🙂

1. Vanessa

Sorry I meant Legendary Landscapes/Worlds, are you going to do a review on these books?

I recently received both of these books in the mail. 🙂 They are slotted to be worked in to be prepared for a video review but they are 5th in line behind other book reviews I’m currently preparing. First come first served. 🙂

It’s a little book, about a third the size of The Magical City. There is a little bleed through with Inktense on the paper if you use a lot of water and the paper buckles as well but not too badly. I like the size, though as i can finish a piece quicker. There are several other books out by the same artists: Escape to Christmas and Escape to Shakespeare. In each one the art work seems to be getting progressively better so check them out too.

13. Astrid S

Wow, I can’t wait, this looks gorgeus again, as allways!

14. Rachel

So excited to see this. I was one of those who bought Magical city and inktense pencils after seeing your videos. You made it look so easy but that just shows how talented you are and sadly my pencils haven’t had much use. So this is great because there really aren’t that many tutorials on using inktense pencils – unless you like stamping of course. One thing you may be interested to know is that you recommanded a couple of extras inktense pencils in your Eiffel Tower tutorial and when I went to order them they were out of stock everywhere (just those colours like the dusky purple) and I am sure that shows just how popular your videos are. So thank you for this.

15. Phyllis Stuart

I’m really looking forward to the new series. I don’t have Inktense pencils or magical city I just love to watch you work. I always learn something! I’m sure I’ll have to have both the pencils & the book before it’s over so I can follow along. Thank you for all you do!

16. Gail Loveridge

Hello Peta, I just recently became interested in adult coloring books while looking after my Grand daughter. Now we color together. lol. Not that I am any Artist but You are Definitely World Class. I found you on YOUTUBE and I simply love your videos. Great Set Up. Good on You Hubby. I nearly purchased some Intense but thought they were more for Textile so may have another look at them.
    Keep on Coloring.:)

17. Kris

looking forward to it too.. I got the Magical city book and a set of 36 inktense set, I started one page and almost scared to finish it It felt like I was messing it up. I do wish now I got the 72 set as I love these inktense they are really fun and almost magical. I am too scared to work with them.
    Your work is very inspiring. I am no artist but I find shading hard to do you make it look so easy!
    I am really looking forward to the new series. I am also looking into water colour colouring book as well they look like a lot of fun new way to try something new. 🙂

18. Cindy Dahlgren

I don’t have the intense pencils, but I do have a great selection of watercolor pencils. I just found your work on YouTube, and haven’t watched them all yet,but do you do any work with the watercolor pencils, either with water or Vaseline? I’ve done a little bit using Vaseline, but don’t want to use this in Animal Kingdom by Miller Marotta as it seems to leave a residue even after blotting. Thanks for the video, and I plan to subscribe to your blog as soon as I find a way to do it. Cdahlgren at live dot Com

19. Tracy

Well now I’m headed to Amazon to buy The Magical City! I bought a nice set of Inktense pencils too, and like many here, am almost afraid to use them 😉 You’re a very generous artist and gifted teacher – I learn so much from your videos.

BTW, I loved your “happy mail” video as well. The book designed for watercolor is intriguing and it will be fun to learn techniques to use in that. I am probably weird, but I think there is something a little appealing when you go through some books where you’ve used inktense pencils and the pages have that sort of crinkly texture from the water lol.

You’re not weird or we both must be weird… because I love the crinkly coloured pages too. It gives the book character. 🙂

20. Nido

is it worth it to invest on a full set of Inktense, or should i get the 36 colours set? Since i managed to find a seller that sold a full set of Inktense for like $78 AUD.

And i was thinking weather to get the Taiwan Chinese version of Magical City, since their paper is abit thicker then the english version, as i find the Taiwan version book wouldnt bend as much as the english version when i hold one side of the book. Plus the Taiwan version comes with a free mini version of the book.

That is a VERY good price… the same as a set of 36 here. I would snap them up at that price. Afraid i can’t tell you anything about the Taiwan version but it’s nice that it comes with a free mini book. 🙂

21. Sandrine

I have just seen someone coloring with inktense and use tombow blender instead of water. I will have a try to see if paper buckle les than with water

I’ve tried it and yes it does work with less buckle to no. But i did find it harder to get an even cover over a larger area where having the water kept the ink active for just those few seconds longer. It does work quite well though. You will go through quite a number of pens over the course of the book though, particularly if you are covering every centimeter of paper as I tend to do.

1. Nido

Instead of spending alot on new blender markers, you can try google for DIY blender marker refill recipes. But im not sure if there is a way to refill Tombows.

1. Sandrine

I will séance for this if i am satisfied with the result. Thanks you for the information

2. Sandrine

Yes, i rend to cover every centimeter of the paper…. I Will have a try just to see how it works as i have this pen. It could be a good alternative for a on-the-go art pencil case.
      I so stuckwhen the color is activated….
      A watch the today’s video : à great one on how to use inktense pencils and the prononciation od Hôtel des Invalides is the sale as in english for invalid…. You’re art is si inspiring….

22. Marita Steuerer

Hallo Peta,
    I love your You Tube Channel and I wached all your fantastic videos. I am a coloring beginner, so I’ve learned so much from you. Thank you for sharing.
    Best Wishes from Germany

23. Helene

Hello Peta,
    Beautiful work and what generosity of us share your knowledge. I received a box of 72 Derwent Inktense for my birthday and I didn’t really know how to use them. But here you opened me to a great adventure. I would like to know how you organized your colors as show you in the video. You the divided into how many colors? And which ones? Thank you for your beautiful work and greetings from Quebec… Sorry for my english but I am french and I translate.

24. Elly

Hi, i got the complete set last week for my birthday. Im so glad with youre tutorials, they really are gorgeous, but you need to practice alot. So thank you so much for youre tutorials
    greets Elly