Eiffel Tower revisited.

I left this picture of the Eiffel Tower in Lizzie Mary Cullen’s book ‘The Magical City’ for a long time because I didn’t have a clear idea on where I was going with it.  I used this picture for my Inktense tutorial on my Youtube channel as it had several different features i wanted to demonstrate: the lighting, the swirly water, concrete bridge and flowers.  After that the book was put away partially due to lack of inspiration on how to proceed with it and partially because of the backlog of other books I had to prepare to review.  Last week I finally decided ‘bugger it’, i miss working in this book which is my first ever colouring book and one of my all time favourites.  I pulled it out, got out my Intense pencils in their brand new Trans pencil wallet and started throwing on colour.  Then the proverbial light went on in my head and i know how to finish it.  I love it when that happens.  It doesn’t happen often enough.  I wanted a dark  approaching night feel with the Tower in black silhouette and gently lit from below.  I’m currently working on finishing all the other little embelishments.  I hope to have it complete on my days off next week.  i will post the pic when it’s done.  i just wanted to let you all know that I hadn’t forgotten it.

1. Nido

I really like how you coloured your Magical City with those Inktense pencils so much so that it really makes me one to get those of the books and a set of Inktense Pencils.

2. Eve

It is my favourite colouring book also and it is responsible for me finding your website and lovely tutorials! Thank you for inspiring and improving my colouring skills!

1. Nido

To be honest, i didnt like this book as i find the drawing abit too messy and complex for my taste. And recently my area has a stationary and book fair, and some colouring books that is on mix and match for 3 for nearly half the usual price. And i rather give this book in chinese version a skip and get someone to buy with me so i can get the 3 books, as at the point of time i was eyeing on Animorphia and a book by some Korean Artist that is store theme.

But after look at Peta’s coloured version of this book, im starting to regret not buying it. I guess will consider getting it when the next fair comes.

3. AnnW

I have been wishing you would do this! I finally went to the Coverack picture & was trying to follow you on the speed coloring with your still as a backup……..not having much luck though! So thank you for this!

We are just in the editing stage of another multipart tutorial using Inktense pencils to complete another picture in The Magical City. Part one will be up in a few days. I hope that helps. 🙂

4. Astrid

I do like this book, have it in my collection too, but haven’t done much in it, just the lights and sky on the very first double spread. I have a very hard time figuring out what it all is, some things are easy to see what it is, but other stuff you keep on wondering what the heck it’s suppose to be. It keeps me off from coloring in it, I’ve even put it up for sale on a Dutch website for selling stuff, if someone buys it, it’s gone, if not, who knows, maybe I’ll try it some other time.

5. Helen in WA

That is startlingly beautiful. I am in awe of Peta’s work and she gives me so much inspiration.

6. Sandrine

We really need a picture of all the pencil wallets….

1. Karina

She actually posted a video a while ago reviewing different types of pencil cases. You can find it on her Youtube channel.

7. Joyce

Peta, thank you so much for posting this pic. I think it will help me finish this wonderful piece. Would you mind posting what colors you used for the parts that were not shown in your tutorial? I have a rather limited color selection, but can buy more open stock at the art store in my city. I agree with what all the other followers posted…you have such an amazing talent. I also agree with what some say about having difficulty figuring out some the pictures in this book. Based on the collection of completed pictures you have posted from Lizzie Mary Cullen’s book, you seem to be able to sort it out, and based on your results, it is clearly worth the effort. I am sure all of your followers will agree that when that talent of the two of you is combined, the result is really amazing.

Hi Joyce. Lizzie’s pictures can be a little difficult to figure out as she aims for an over all effect instead of architectural accuracy. Comparing her picture of Little Moreton Hall to actual photographs of the building showed marked discrepancies in reality and her freehand interpretation. this leads to some artistic licence in colouring. My technique is to colour the better defined parts of the piece leaving the ambiguous pieces until last. then I spend some time just analysing the picture to work out what would fit best in those areas. I don’t think there is any wrong or right answer in this… just using your artistic ‘gut’ to come up with a solution. I rather like this because it invites me to make decisions in some small ways on the structure of the art.
    Now for the Eiffel Towers colours, mind i am working from memory here: the Tower I coloured with a combination of ‘dusky purple and sepia ink on the under parts. The yellow glow was achieved with a yellow prismacolor pencil applied after the ink was bone dry. (Gives a nice glowy look with very little effort.) The black struts of the tower was ‘indian ink’which has a warm tone. The sky is ‘peacock blue’ mainly because I’ve been dying to play with this lŭurious looking colour and it makes the red and black pop. I gradieted it down to ‘iris blue’ in the mid section of the piece and then added ‘sherbert lemon’ over the top of a lightly shaded ‘iris blue’ to give me that lovely glowy green to represent a blurr of backlighting from the city of Paris. The pillars under the street lamps were coloured with ‘oak’ one of my absolute favourite Inktense colours… so useful! I think that’s about it. I’m hoping to finish this picture today in between setting up for some more video tutorials.

1. Joyce

Thank you so much for this information Peta. I think I will start with pictures you have already colored to use as a guide. That way even if I want to choose other colors I will at least have a “road map” to sort our what is what. I also appreciate you info on the pencils you remember using. It will help me know which additional inktense pencils might be worth purchasing.

9. Pamela Tither

Hi there – have just discovered your speed paintings. Oh my. They are really lovely. I have a question. Do you use paint in the aquabrush or do you just use the water.

Just water 🙂