Colouring Tutorial Series: Duck Pond, Part 2.

Part 2 of my colouring tutorial series is now live.  Enjoy. 🙂

1. Carla

Thank you so much for this series! It is so helpful! Do you ever use any blending medium (like colorless blending pencils, markers, or other) in your color pencil works?

I like the Derwent colourless blender and their burnisher but I only use them occassionally. I will probably be going over the sky in this piece with a blender to smooth it out a bit more as one of the finishing effect. I sometimes use my colourless copic marker as a blender but not very often. I have a preference for the original slightly grainy effect of raw pencil.

2. Lisa Berg

Thanks Peta, I am enjoying colouring along with you! Looking forward to the next video! Cheers! I was going to send you a picture but am not sure how to submit it.

Hi Lisa. If you have a Face Book account you can upload the picture as a comment on my La Artistino face book page.

3. Gill

Very helpful video, the rocks are so realistic. Loved the TROUT?

Lol, thanks. You should have heard my hubby when he was editing that part. Everytime I said salmon his eyes would roll. I’m not terribly good with fish. 🙂

4. Claire

Found this one tougher than the first part, but still really enjoying it.

Yes. I did increase the difficulty a little bit in this one. I wanted to encourage the viewers to explore more possibilities with colouring rather then just sticking to flat colours and gradients. Although you can get fantastic results just sticking with these too.

5. Samantha G.

I am loving this series. Thank you so much for doing this. Listening to your thought process as you color is fascinating and very valuable. Kudos to your husband for the great music selections and funny commentary.

6. Tracy

I am learning so much from this series! I’ll ech many other comments about a night scene…would love to see the two big owls in animorphia but that’s a big ask for sure as a double spread. You must have a massive list of requests going these days! Just to add two possibilities…can you return to Creative cats just to talk through at normal speed how you color in the cats? And, I noticed your little ratties were playing around a set of Plume pens…Ii’ve been curious for awhile about how to effectvely do shading with those. (but I’d prefer the kitties to the plumes any day since I have a couple other cat-themed coloring books on my wish list).

Thank you to you and DH for the videos and the amazing time put into them!

7. Mari

Dear Peta:

I watched Part 1 of the Duck Pond tutorial many times and Part two once so far. Like everyone else I get so much out of your expertise. You also make it fun. I can’t wait for the underwater scene to see how you teach us the lighting and shading of the water and fish. Thank you again for taking the time to make all of us who love coloring that much better.

8. Joyce

Peta, I only started watching your videos about a month ago. I am now a huge fan and have watched them all. I LOVE LOVE this “color along with Peta”. Please do more start to finish tutorials once this one ends. I am so happy with all I am learning. I want to buy the blue grey Derwent Atrist’s pencil you talked about for shading. I live in the USA and have only found one place (it is in the UK) that sells Derwent Artist’s pencils open stock. It will cost me literally 10 times the cost of the pencil in postage to have it shipped

I’ve since found out how difficult it is to obtain Derwents on the American continents. A good alternative, as you will see in my next video, is the Polychromos dark indigo. It is very similar.

9. AnnW

I loved the way you shade the rocks, when I first looked at them not colored I couldn’t imagine what they were or how to color them but after you finished they just came alive! Funny though they now look like a woman from the back with round bum & plump thighs & calves…….. I love it! Thank you so much bringing these drawings to life! ?

Ann

You can use the same colouring principles with different colours to actually colour flesh. It’s all very similar.

10. Yvonne Davidson

What a lot I have learned in past 2 days using your tutorial. Love my little frog. Cant wait for part 3. Hope it’s soon as dont trust myself to do much more on my own. Best tutorial I have seen others go far too fast and I cant keep up

11. Natalia

Hi, Peta! My name is Natalia and Im from Argentina.
    Excuse my english, it’s not very good.
    Im really enjoying your tutorials. My coloring skills are better since I been looking your videos!
    So, I have a cuestion.. Do you have any problem that we use the same colours that you use? I love your pictures and im afraid of the copyrights if I show mine colored as yours.

Not at all, Natalia. My colouring is just a guide. Feel free to experiment with your own colours. 🙂

12. Coral

Hi Peta. Thank you so much for explaining how to think about how the sun is hitting the rocks, frog, etc. I’ve enjoyed watching all of your videos and have learned so much. I’m not an artist, but enjoy coloring coloring when I have the time. I’m hoping that you show how to color a nighttime background with stars sometime. Thank you again for your tutorial. Have a good day. – C.M. from a cold, snowy New England.

13. Dorothee

Had you ever been using Caran d’Ache pencils? What is your take on these?
    Lots of fun with your tutorial – thanks for sharing your work!

No, I have not used them. But I have a friend who recently bought a large set of them and she loves them.

14. Sarah

Love your videos. Can you do a piece on your favorite pencil colors that you might recommend buying open stock? Like the derwent blue gray – are there any others?

I’d love to see this too. 🙂