Colouring Tutorial Series: Duck Pond, Part 1.

First installment of my colouring tutorial is now live!  This series is a complete tutorial on how I page in Johanna Basford’s ‘Enchanted Forest’.  At the moment i am anticipating that it will run over 5 episodes each approximately one hour long.  There will be normal speed sections and a few fast speed sections where the work is repetitive.  If you are following along in these sections I suggest you pause the video to catch up to where I’m up to.  In real life the video took me three hours to complete including setting up and choosing colours, most of which I do off camera because it’s just me thinking and playing with my pencils (boring).  I hope you enjoy this first installment.  let me know what you think and any suggestions you have.

The pencils I use are Derwent Artist pencils and my favourite Faber Castell Polychromos pencils.  I understand that most people will not have these pencils in there possession.  I suggest you use whatever you’ve got and try to match up the colours.  Any pencils will work for this tutorial.  Also, don’t feel you HAVE to use the same colours if you don’t want to.  If you have a better idea for what you want go with it.  I’ve seen this picture completed using many different colour combinations and they all look great.  At the end of the video your picture will be completed to the stage as shown in the photo above.

Peppered in between these installments will be other types of videos: I have a few new colouring books lined up and a few art supplies to chat about.  Also I’m looking at shorter one off videos to answer some of your colouring questions so look out for them as well. :).

1. Emma

Looking forward to colouring along with you. I’m still on the double page with the purple mountains, but this will be my next one!

2. Beryl

Love your work, love watching and listening to your tutorials. Learn so much and it is just so relaxing to watch you at work. Very grateful. A big Thank you.

3. Mari

Dear Peta:

This video was amazing and so helpful. I watched it through completely taking notes before actually starting the picture. It was so exciting putting all your knowledge to use and seeing my picture come alive. All your suggestions were things I never would have thought of and they made a world of difference. Thank you so much for all your hard work. It’s appreciated more than you know. Can you tell me where I can find your tutorial on coloring animals?

Thanks again for everything.

4. Julie

Great video ! Thank you for sharing !

5. Kelly

Loving this! I’m goin to wait til maybe your 3rd video before I make a start on this

6. Annie

Thank you for the new tutorial. I am looking forward to the rest of the series.

7. AnnW

I am so glad I haven’t colored this one yet! I will be coloring along with Peta! ?

8. Heidi

I am wondering why you do light to dark with your grass and leaves? I have always done it dark centres/bottoms to lighter edges/tips…yours looks good though…

Either way works well. Sometimes I do the light first because i like the effect i get when I add the darker colour over a pre-established lighter layer. Example… laying some oranges over cream will give a lovely yellow gradient that i couldn’t achieve if I laid the cream over the orange. Experiment and see the different effect you can get.

9. Ana

Thank you for this great video. You care about little details that all together make all the difference in the final picture. You are a great teacher and I like to watch your videos while I’m coloring or doing house chores (like ironing ?). A big thanks from Portugal!

1. Ana

I wanted to add that once I asked you if I could save your images in Pinterest and I did as you asked. I’ve added more images of your work and I always put the link to your blog in the description of the pin. But I would like to make you a suggestion, identify all your images/ photos, even those of the work in progress. I’ve heard of people claiming authorship of colorings they didn’t do. A very mean thing to do. Everyone deserves to have their authorship acknowledged by others. I hope I have explained well, because english is not my idiom and some things are lost in translation 🙂 Once again thank you!

Thank you Ana, I appreciate that. I leave my name, the line artists name and the name on the book on most of my finished work. I don’t tend to bother so much with work in progress or very simple work. Art theft is a terrible problem on the Internet. I have had original art stolen and sold on image selling sites.

10. Claire

Thank you for the great video. I grabbed my set of polychromos and coloured along with you, and really enjoyed it. Was very pleased with how it turned out 🙂 However I haven’t coloured in the background yet as I’m lacking in lighter blues, so ordered a couple more colours.

Looking forward to the next instalment.

11. Lisa

I just finished coloring along with you and it was so much fun. It’s helpful to hear your commentary along the way, especially when you explain your choices. Very much looking forward to the next installment, thank you!

12. J.M.

Thank you so much for sharing, Peta. I’ve learned so much by watching you color. My daughter and I will be coloring this picture along with you in our books.

13. Mari

Dear Peta:

I finished Part one of the video and loved it. I’m working on the sleeping fawn of the Animal Kingdom and having a terrible time with colors. I love this picture and don’t want to mess it up. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you so much!

Mari

14. Frances Posnanski

Love your tutorial. Just finished coloring that part of the picture and cannot wait for the next session. Thanks for your work.

15. Debbie

Fantastic tutorial. I can’t wait until Episode 2. Thank you.

16. Gill

This video is wonderful and I am learning so much. New to colouring and new to your videos, so good to learn new skills, now know that are not just one colour of green and require blending and shading of several colours to get it just right.
    Have a nice selection of Derwent Inktense, Marco Raffines and now five precious Polychromos (wish I had found out about them earlier on).
    Looking forward to more of this series plus other videos.
    Greeting from England

17. Laura

Hi Peta!

I started this page following your instructions, and I’m loving how it’s turning out. Thank you so much, I’m learning a lot!

Hugs from Argentina ?

Laura

18. Suzy Christodoulo

Hi Peta

I have recently started watching several youtube videos and came across your work. Am loving watching your tutorials on how to colour Johanna Basford’s books.

Am learning quite a bit from your videos. I have subscribed to you on youtube.

I am currently following you step by step on this particular layout as I need to learn a bit more about the blending of the colours.

Thank you very much for the videos.

Suzy SA JHB

19. Amanda Young

I absolutely love your videos! These colouring tutorials are so awesome and so inspiring! Thank you so much for sharing your tips and tricks!

20. Annie

Hello, this is the part 1 blog but it’s linking to part 4 just fyi

Fixed the link, not sure how that happened

21. Susan B

Dear Peta,

Thank you so much for sharing what you know about coloring with pencils. Your videos are amazing and beautiful (awe inspiring, actually), and packed full of excellent information. What a difference your instruction has made in my work on Johanna Basford’s books! Thanks again for sharing your time with us.

22. Cleo Fraser

Peta, you speak a lot about Derwent Artist brand of pencils that you used in this video , along with FB Polys.
    My question is…how would you rate the Derwent Signature pencils vs the Derwent Artist brand? I have a chance to buy the Derwent Signature 60 set for a very resonable price but i’m wondering how they compare with your artist brand???
    If you could advise me on this asap, it would be very appreciated. Thank you, Cleo Fraser

23. Charlotte B.

Peta, the Duck Pond tutorial is excellent. I have leaned many techniques from you that are improving my coloring.

Have you posted a list of the pencils and colors used. It would be very useful.

24. Donna

I was coloring along fine until you did the blue sky and my pencils did not blend well and I had to scrap the project because of the uneven lines seen in the blue gradient sky. Any suggestions? Should I use pastels instead?

Hi Donna. What type of pencils did you use? Some brands work better for this than others althoughh all artist quality brands should manage this well. can you erase what you have done. You won’t be able to bring the paper back to white but you could lighten it enough to cover over again. As for applying the colours when doing colour gradients I recommend applying multiple light layers (gentle colouring with only a little pressure) and gradually building up and getting darker until you reach the intensity that suits you.

25. Corrie Jansen van Vuuren

Hi,
    Thank you so much for this tutorials. I enjoyed coloring my duck pond and can’t wait to start with the next picture. I am learning so much!

26. Rachel

This is such a nice idea and makes colouring less of a solitary activity! Love all your tips and ideas too. I’ve watched and coloured in alongside part 1 and will enjoy the others.

27. Mona

Dear Peta 🙂

I have been in a coloring funk lately….haven’t really picked up a coloring book in about 8 months, I just couldn’t find the time, motivation or inspiration. Well, yesterday the weather was awful, my hubby and I had nothing planned so he told me I should do some coloring. I’ve been wanting to do your duck pond color along/tutorial for a long time, and so I thought that would be a perfect project to get me back at it. So I grabbed a glass of wine, my Enchanted forest book, my favorite crayons and spent the afternoon coloring along with you 🙂 It was a most pleasant Sunday afternoon, and it sparked the coloring bug again, so THANK YOU!! 🙂

Mona

P.S. I hope all is well with you and your family…You are dearly missed by many!!