New Video Series in Production: Colouring in Enchanted Forest.

I have an exciting announcement for you.  In response to the many, many questions I get regarding how I go about colouring I have decided to make a tutorial series where I demonstrate colouring from start to finish every aspect of a picture from Johanna Basford’s ‘Enchanted Forest’ complete with real time colouring speed and explanations of every step of the way.  The series will run over 5 episodes.  Each episode I will colour a different portion of the picture from start to finish.  Much of these videos will be set to real time speed (as requested by many viewers) with a few areas sped up where the colouring is repetitive or particularly long (For instance the sky in this picture took me over twenty minutes to colour completely.)

EF_FishPondSetUp

My colouring set up for this project. A cup of tea is mandatory.

The picture I have chosen for this project is the ‘fish pond’ picture in Enchanted Forest as I think it will give me a nice range of objects to colour and it is not such a large piece as to make this video series too long.  The pencils I will be using are my Faber Castell Polychromos and my old Derwent Artist pencils.  I will give the names of each of the colours as I use them. I understand that many people will not have these sets.  If you have wish to colour along then I suggest you try and match the colours as far as you are able with whatever pencils you have available.  A close approximation will work just as well. 🙂  Or you can deviate and use your own choice of colours… it’s all good.

The first episode of this series has been filmed and is currently undergoing editing.  It should be available for viewing next week for free on my Youtube channel.  I will announce it here when it goes up.  I hope you enjoy this little project.  Let me know if you would like to see me create more series like this one and which book and media you would like to see next.

EF_FishPond01

By the end of the first episode my picture will look like this. 🙂

1. Ana

Great! Thank you! I know I will learn a lot with this series. A scene of Lost Ocean would be great too, or a night scene, that’s very difficult for me, the light, the colors… Well, that’s what happens when you ask us what we would like to see next: a lot of requests ?.

1. Jacqueline Kowalenko

This is a great idea! I’m just a beginner, so I’m looking forward to this so much!
      Thank you.

Several people have requested a Lost Ocean picture. . I’ll start looking through my copy for something suitable.

3. Joyce

I would also like to see a night scene. I would like to see how to do a gradient of the colors of the sky, stars and glowing objects such as the moon or a lantern

4. Carmelle

Oh yes, something with night scenes, like the sailboat in the Enchanted Forest book. The wooden chest in the EF;)

2. Michelle Wadeson

ALL your posts and videos are ‘the best!’. Thank you so much Peta. Really enjoying learning new things. Please can you do one on hair – animals and people.

I’ve been thinking about doing one with faces for a while. There are some neat tricks with colours and placement of shadows I use to make faces ‘pop’. I’ll start researching for a suitable picture.

3. Emma

Looking forward to this! Paint Along With Peta ?

I also use Polychromos so naming the exact colours you use will be very helpful. I mostly pick out the right ones but sometimes it can be surprisingly tricky (the sunrise sky on a previous double pager, for example).

I always get excited when your You Tube notifications pop up! Thanks for all the help, Peta, you have helped me massively!

1. Jacqueline Kowalenko

I have watched the video twice and started to color today. I tried to match colors the best I could, but I can already tell I need to buy some other pencils. Is it possible to post the actual colors used? I think it would be helpful. Thanks.

4. Nettie

This sounds like a wonderful thing! I agree with a comment above requesting a night scene with light coming from a doorway, window, or even the moon would be really helpful. Thank you for all of your great tutorials, they’re very much appreciated.

Hi Nettie, sounds like a good idea. Also, i know it’s a speed painting, and a different medium, but one of my speed painting in The Magical City show me colouring a night scene with light from the windows of buildings. I will look at including how I go about colouring that in an up and coming tutorial.

5. Jacqueline Kowalenko

Lucky me! I found your videos! I am just learning about adult coloring books and need all the information and tips I can get. I can’t thank you enough for all your help in choosing book, pencils, etc.. Since I am not an artist, showing us techniques is so appreciated. I am off to the store today. Thanks again.

1. R

Hello, i am using derwent artist pencil, but cannot get the right colour density youbare getting. Mine is paller, please help

It depends on the paper you are using. Derwent likes rougher, ‘toothy’ paper and doesn’t do so well on smooth paper like you find in most colouring books. this is why so many people love Prismacolors which work really well on smoother paper. I like Faber Castell Polychromos best of all because those pencils work well on most types of paper. With the Derwents the best method is lots of light layers so that you don’t squash the page tooth down. Squashing the tooth seals the paper so that it stops accepting more pencil. Light layers doesn’t squash the tooth of the paper so you can keep adding more pencil.

6. Linda L

This is great! I`m so looking forward too this. Your drawings are a big inspration, and I think learn a lot.
    I too would very much like too see a piece of lost Ocean in the future( my favourite book at the time… :-)).

So thanks for the lessons and the inspiration, and keep going, Peta!

7. linda

O, Peta! What a lovely Valentine’s Day gift! You made my day into a better one – colourful colouring thanks from Sweden!

8. Melvina Grose

I am so excited for this! I am always anticipating another video from Peta. I can’t wait. What a great idea to be doing a coloring series! I can watch you videos all day. What a spectacular idea. I agree that doing another video series in Lost Ocean or a night scene would be a big hit too. I like what you did in Enchanted Forest with the sunset/sundown. I think it is a couple pages in. I would LOVE to learn how you were able to get that effect. Also, I would LOVE to see how you are able to make the tree trunks of trees and horns in Anamorphia look like the real deal. When looking at your work I feel like I can almost touch it. They look so real! 🙂
    Looking forward to more Peta inspiration! 🙂
    Melvina/ Minnesota, USofA

Hi Melvina, colouring tress and horns… I’ll add that to the list. Actrually there is lots of different ways to colour tree trunks to make them look like different species. I’ll have to choose a forest to colour for this one. 🙂

9. Lesley Anne

This is going to be great, just what I need. Thanks so much.

10. Susana Rosário

I can’t wait!!! You are an inspiration!

11. RSmith

Oh goodness, I am looking forward to this series. I know it takes time for you to do this and I thank you for sharing with us. I agree with all the comments above concerning what I’d like to see.
    Ruthe/TN

12. Carol

I look forward to coloring along with you! My Prismacolor Pencils and Derwent Inktense are on their way to me and when they arrive I bet I can find “close enough” colors.

I’m certain you will. Prisma’s have a great range of colours. I have the 72 set plus about another dozen open stock.

13. Annette

Yay!!! Your tutorials have been SOOOO helpful to me. I also wanted to thank you for the tutorial on different brands of pencils. I started with prismacolor and have been frustrated to death by them breaking; a couple pencils in particular. So, I tried the Faber Castells and I love, love them so much more. I think the blending is superior — none of that waxy feeling.

14. J

This is a terrific idea! Really looking forward to coloring along with you.

15. Ken

Thank You very much for this coming events.
    I am sooo looking forward to this !

Greetings from a cold and grey Sweden

16. Camilla

What a great present for all us new colourists! I’m so Looking forward to this tutorial series ?
    I have invested a set in both Faber castell polychromos and Derwent. I must say I prefer the FC so far, for me they are easier to blend…. It will be nice though to hear which colour to use and learn how to blend, what to think of e g.
    Thanks from Sweden…?

17. Rebecca

I’m *so* excited about this!!! #fangirl

18. Frances Posnanski

I am so excited to be able to watch the tutorials. I just bought Faber Castell Polychromos, so that will be helpful. I also have many Prismacolor pencils (which I am sure many colorists have), so I would love it if you could “hint” what shade it is in prismas. Again, thanks for your videos.

19. Brigitte

This is very exciting. Thank you so much for doing this. I certainly will be attending every episode (with a cup of tea). ?

20. Sabrina

Thanks a lot !

21. Kelly

I am so excited for this series!

22. Carla

I am really looking forward to this series! If you get a chance, I would enjoy a video on color choices and techniques in coloring foreground, middleground, and background in a picture. Thank you for taking the time to make your videos! They are all so helpful and inspirational!

23. Patricia

Fantastic! Thank you so much for taking the time to help us. Love your videos they are solo helpful.

24. Amy

When you colour a picture using the Polychromos pencils, does the colour transfer to other pages? I’m just wondering if I should purchase a fixative or not. I love your work, by the way!

Hi Amy. if I am colouring on the previous or next page then the polychromos can transfer because of pressure of the pencils above. I avaoid this by placing a clean sheet of paper between the pages. As a general rule, though, i haven’t had an issue with colours rubbing onto the facing pages. You can use a fixative to be certain, it certainly couldn’t hurt.

25. Jason

Lost Ocean (because I have it) but I think this is a great idea for any book, just not the wallpapery ones. Those might get boring/repetitive. I hope you’ll do a lot of these videos. Really a great idea!

26. Annie

I enjoy your videos and website very much. Thank you for your time and effort! (And those of your husband as well.)
    I would like to see some tips on how to correct mistakes. I have only been coloring for a couple of monthes and have made some whoppers!

27. J. M.

I’m looking forward to your new series. I’ve enjoyed watching your you tube videos and have learned a lot just from watching you color. Could you please explain how to add a light source into coloring with colored pencil? For example, how to make something like lantern light, moonlight, or sunlight look realistic as it hits objects.

28. Claire

What a brilliant idea, Peta, really looking forward to these videos.

Like others have suggested I would love to see you do a video on colouring night scenes and in particular how to do a star lit sky as a background.

29. liza

I will be waiting with baited breath for this. Your video’s are always an inspiration and I love your work. I will also have a cup of tea waiting……..thanks again.

30. Judi

Great, thank you so much. I can’t wait to see this!!

31. Robyn Grogan

I so love to watch your videos! I know that this series is going to be awesome! Can hardly wait! Thanks!!!

32. Julie

Hello there,
    I’m relatively new to coloring. I struggle with deciding on a color palette particularly for mandalas and paisleys. Can you offer any advice?

Thanks,
    Julie

33. Daniele

Peta you are by far the best!!! Once I found you on utube, I spent 2 days watching you do your magic. Sometimes when I’d sit down to color I would be so lost as to what colors even to start with. Your explanation of the color wheel helped so much. I have all of Joanna Basfords books and just ordered Animorphia, can’t wait to get it. Your tutorial on it was beautiful and inspiring, so I ordered it from the UK. I also use Faber Castell polychromos pencils. Every morning I check to see if you have any new posts. Just think of all the people around the world you are helping. I love it !!!! Thanks from Wisconsin

34. AnnW

I can’t believe I just discovered this new post, I have been wondering all week if you were sick or something! It must have been me! (Sick in the head). Anyway I am so glad you have decided to do this. My Anumorphia arrived in the mail today I can’t wait to try your instruction on how to do a page in it. I am almost afraid now to look at your videos of an new book for fear I will buy it to try to replicate your beautiful work! I am looking forward to getting back into The Enchanted Forest! ☺️

35. Sarah

I can’t wait to color along. I learn so much from video’s

36. Mari Brady

Dear Peta:

I’m very excited about your new tutorial. I have learned so much from you. Would it be possible to teach us shading of animals like the deer in the Enchanted Forest. Thank you!

Mari

37. Trish Snipes

Wonderful news! I found your you tube channel just this week and have even viewing your remarkable efforts. I had been thinking about getting Secret Garden and Enchanted Forrest but was so intimidated by them, after seeing your work I fellt maybe I can do this and was inspired to go get them! What
    T pastels do you recommend?

38. Beverly

Greetings from sunny California. I am so grateful that I found you and your inspirational blog and videos. Thanks to you I’ve learned so much and improved my coloring skills immensely. Your artistic skill as well as your teaching ability are formidable. From all the positive comments you’ve received it’s clear that you’ve also enhanced the lives of many people worldwide. Congratulations.

Can you share with us your “go-to” favorite polychromo color choices and combinations?

Many thanks…

39. Sandra Morris

A colour-along, a genius idea! I cross stitch as another of my hobbies, and have participated in many stitch-alongs, where a group of people all stitch the same design at the same time, so much fun! I’m really looking forward to this.

40. Colleen H

Hey Peta I’m so looking forward to this and can’t wait to watch. I watch you videos all the time and learn so much. I would love for you to do this in any book. Maybe creative cats or animal kingdom

41. Alison

I am so thrilled you are doing this!! This is exactly what I was hoping to see from you.

Love the Johanna Basford focus. I love seeing your reviews of all these other books but I admit she remains my favorite.

Thanks so much!

42. Chris S.

Great videos! Thank you for taking the time to share. I am really learning a lot from you and look forward to further videos.

43. Kyralae

You have been the greatest help in getting back into coloring. I loved it as a child and recently rediscovered the fun and relaxation of just coloring. I have the Enchanted Forest and am slowly working on my first page. You are inspiring and your techniques are easy to understand and with some practice make things so unique. Thank you for sharing and I too look forward to your series!