Video Tutorial: How to use Inktense pencils in Colouring books.

Hi everyone.  Welcome to my first colouring video of 2016!

This video is the result of countless questions I have been asked about Derwent Inktense pencils and water brushes and many many more requests for a tutorial.  So, finally, here it is.

This is my longest video to date as I wanted to cover as much information as possible.  I go over the special properties of Derwent’s unique Inktense pencils as well as the brand of water brush I use with them.  I discuss paper quality of colouring books and their suitability for wet media.  I show you how to colour each of the main elements in a picture and let you in on my favourite colours and combinations.

I hope you find this video answers all your questions about Inktense pencils and gets you started using them in your own work.

1. Ali

Great video.
    Thanks, Peta.
    I would love to see more of these longer video tutorials from you.
    You teach really well.

2. Sabrina

Thank you so much for this Great tutorial

3. Sharon kirkwood

Great video Peta l’m really enjoying your blog and speed colouring and learning lots. Very inspiring, and I’m looking forward to what you have in store for 2016.
    Sharon

4. Jenny Morgan

Thanks very much for this tutorial, I have had a set of Inktense pencils for some time now and haven’t had the confidence to use them, very helpful.

5. Deborah Kaplan

Thanks sooooo much for this tutorial!! I learn so much from you that gives me even more pleasure in my coloring. I just bought my first set of Inktense pencils. Any advice about sharpening and sharpeners?

Hi Deborah. I use a little metal staedtler sharpener from an office supplies shop. it’s best to keep a small supply of them as you will have to replace them as the blade dulls (and starts breaking the cores of your pencils.) Other people have had success with electric sharpeners but I don’t own one so I can’t comment on them.

1. Deborah

Thanks a lot Chaypeta. Good advice. I bought an electric sharpener, but they get dull as quick as the small manual ones, so they are not really worth the extra expense.

6. Shani

Fabulous Tutorial with lots of excellent tips. Thanks very much. Would love to see a similar one showing you blending with coloured pencils.

7. Poornima

Hi Peta,I use the Kum sharpener for the pencils. They sharpen to a nice point. You can also collect shavings, if u have patience 🙂 and use them for backgrounds. I love all your videos. You teach well and thanks for all your time and effort.

8. Hannah

I absolutely love your videos! They are my favorite coloring videos on YouTube. But, when you give a tutorial I find the background music really distracting. I want to be able to focus on what you are saying.

9. Claire

Love your videos, Peta, you are so talented. Make it look so easy 🙂

Got my first set of inktense pencils today as well as the Derwent waterbrush set. Having some problems though because no matter what I do I always seem to make the paper too wet. I’m using them in the Johanna Basford books and they are soaking right through the page (and the colour is bleeding through) because there is too much water. I’m being so careful with the water brush but not having much success, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

1. Macarena

Im having the same problem in enchanted forest and lost ocean.

I haven’t had any personal experience with the Derwent waterbrushes but I have heard from other artists that they tend to be very wet. I use a fine tipped Kuretake zig water brush (the yellow barreled one) and I don’t have a problem with it saturating the page. If you can i suggest getting one of these brushes.

1. Lesia

Thank you Peta! I was looking for the brush name. Now to find that in South Africa will be the other issue 🙁

2. Claire

Thank you, Peta. I managed to get one from eBay and I’m getting along much better with it and really enjoying using the inktense pencils now 🙂

10. topkatnz

So inspired and in love with your videos, artwork and The look of Inktense pencils. How ever…I cant get them to work for me:( i cant seem to get them to fully dissolve and not matter what, or however lightly I colour the pencil streaks show through:( what am I doing wrong??

Thanks. 🙂 You’re not doing anything wrong. The paper is wrong. because colouring book paper is not water colour paper it does not allow the colour to dissolve and absorb into it evenly. If you look closely at my magical City pictures you will see that there is a lot of pencil line streaking. I think of it as adding more texture to the work. test your inktense pencils out on good quality water colour paper and you’ll see that they dissolve completely.

11. Elizabeth Wright

Thank you so much for your wonderful tutorials. I absolutely love them.
    I would love to know more of your favourite colour combinations as I have a lot of trouble deciding which colours to use. For instance, which colours would you recommend for the Eiffel tower?

12. Nido

Just wondering if you have tried using blender/blending pens/markers such as those from Copics to activate the colours instead of water?

Just saw an Youtube video that shows this method as an alternative too water, its pretty interesting.

13. Ron

Frist I want to say thank you for all your YouTube videos and art lessons. You are a great teacher.My question is can you do a video on how to create a wet street with color pencils? The coloring page I would like to do is in Steven McDonald’s book,Fantastic Cities. The page is referred to as Soho Manhattan,New York. I even found a reference photo on Pinterest. I think it’s the same one the artist used to make the page.

Ron

14. Donle Farsace

After viewing your tutorial on coloring with inktense pencils, I purchased them. I’m very disappointed because I’m not getting the intense color I was expecting. I’ve tried a water brush, regular brush with water and a colorless blender. The color just looks washed out after it dries.

Do you have any ideas? If not, I guess I’ll try to sell them.

Donle