Lost Ocean… Crabs. Second page finished yesterday.

Here is the second page I completed yesterday.  I started this picture while on my recent holiday.  i quite enjoyed inventing new colour schemes for each of the crabs.  I decided that identical crabs would share the same colours, just as if they were different species. It was nearly finished when I arrived home but sat on hiatus over the holiday season.  I forgot to add this one to my recent post on unfinished pictures… oops.  Yesterday I finally added the sandy background with Derwent soft pastels and spent a couple of hours adding in the shadows with coloured pencils so the crabs wouldn’t look like they were floating in space. I’m going to give Lost Ocean’s a rest now and get back to Enchanted Forest for a little while.

1. Rebecca

This page is just gorgeous. I would love to know how you pack your pens and pencils, etc for travel. I have tons of travel coming up for work and would love to take a book and my pencils with me. I have the three layer tin of Polychromos pencils.

Hi Rebecca. I have a ‘Trans’ pencil wallet ( made in the U.S. ) which stores 120 pencils. I keep my Polychromos and my Inktense pencils in it. I also have a leather zip up bag that came with a hand bag which i use to keep all my odd bits in. I’m constantly on the look out for some kind of bag that I can combine all my art gear in plus the colouring books I’m currently working on neatly and safely but no luck so far. I mostly just carry around my trans, zip bag and books in a sturdy canvas shoulder bag which has a Secret garden print on either side… got that as a freebie from Dymocks Bookstores when i last made a large purchase from them.

2. Emma

Hi Peta. Which technique did you use for the pastel background? Did you apply the pastel carefully around the crabs, or did you sweep right over them after having sealed the colours with a colourless blender first, as seen in a previous video?

Beautiful work, as always.

Hi Emma. I swept over the entire picture with patches of light beige and yellow. I sealed the lightest parts of the crabs first with a Lyra Splender pencil to preserve the colour. I felt confident that the darker areas of colour would not be at risk of contamination. I used exactly the same method as with the double spread in my video. 🙂

3. Ali

Gorgeous work as usual. When will you be doing the Inktense Pencil Tutorial? I love the pictures you have done with them. I have purchased a set and am so looking forward to your instruction. Will you be working with them in the Enchanted Forest book at all?

Hi Ali… the Inktense tutorial has been filmed and is now going through the editing process. Stand by for further announcements.

1. Ali

YEAH!!!!!

4. Demdem

Woooow.. Thats amazing!!! I love your works… I hope that we can see more from your Talent an get more tipps fromy you..
    best regards….

5. pauline

Hello Peta,

I love your work, it is always beautiful.
    I’m just wondering how do you choose your color before you’re coloring?

Pauline

P.S. Sorry for the mistakes, I come from Belgium. English is not my languages.

1. Tammy

Pauline, she now has a video up (here and on youtube) about how she goes about choosing colours. You might have seen it already, but in case you had not, I thought I would mention it. (Also, even though English is not your first language, your comment was written with better English than I see from many of those who only speak English.) happy colouring! ?

6. Wendy

Beautiful. I’d be interested in a blog post or video about how you choose your color schemes, and also how you keep track of which colors you are using for your works in progress. I really enjoy your videos. Your narration and demonstrations are easy to follow.

7. Donna

I like what Wendy asked. I have the same questions about your beautiful work.

8. Sally

Love all your videos. Especially duck pond. Just viewed pencil case video. I bought Derwent Carry-all (Amazon.com) for pencil storage. Found it better than roll style. With 2 extra sleeves carries over 170 pencils.

9. Charne

Beautiful!

10. Lu

Hello,
    firstly, the page is awesome!
    secondly, I’d like to know which exact colored pencils you used for this ‘neon’ green and blue (with the green and the blue crab). They just look like they are glowing, and I’d really love to have these colors in my collection. I currently have the Marco Raffines which have a blue-green that seem to glow as well, but yours look a bit brighter.

Thanks in advance

Hi Lu. I think you mean the green crab, the dark green looks sort of blueish. I used Polychromos pencils ‘light green’ which is a very light bright green colour hard up against a deep cobalt green and a dark phthalo green. the tan was brown ochre.

11. Donna Wills

I am fairly new to your tutorials, but find them most fascinating and informative. I have just this morning begun the picture in Lost Ocean with the lobsters just before the crabs. I have opted to make all od the lobsters match (since they are all the same lobster) and am planning to use the pastel technique from your tutorial where you do the background over the finished coloring. At your rather subtle hint of advice I purchased one of those Lyra Splender colorless blenders and absolutely love it. Thanks for the hint. Wish me luck on this pastel technique. I have never used this one before, but have the one where you use the eraser and sealer and love that effect. Thank you for all of your wonderful advice and sharing your many artistic gifts with us all.

12. Deborah

Hi, Peta! When you did your book review on Lost Ocean, you said that you didn’t know what the US copy was like. Well, I wanted to share my observations. Printed by, Penguin Books, New York, New York. First, I wanted to do a test page for my Staedtler fine liners. The result was bleed through. Then, I put colored pencil down first then the fine liners and there was no bleed through. I decided to get going with my Staedtler pencils. My first pick was the first double spread picture. Well, I’m very disappointed with this publishing for as soon as I pressed down on the spine, my pages literally started falling out of the book. Don’t know what else to say at this point because I’m rather angry about the whole thing. Hopefully you can use this little tidbit to help others. Respectfully, debbie

s

Hi Deborah. Thank you very much for sharing that information. I got out my UK copy of Lost Ocean in response to your post and retested my Staedtler fineliners to see if I could duplicate your results. There was no bleed through or shadowing after two coats of dark red and violet applied on a one X one centimetre precisely coloured squares, each coat one minute apart. It looks as if Penguin has not used the same paper as the UK version according to your results.

1. Samantha G.

Dear Debbie,
        After having the same kinds of problems you had in my copy of Animorphia, I started buying almost all of my coloring books from The Book Depository in the UK and have been VERY satisfied. The prices are competitive and they have free worldwide shipping. They also list the publisher and where it was printed, so you know exactly what you are getting.