The Owl and the Squirrel from Enchanted Garden

Hi everyone, back with another post.  I’ve had a busy few weeks working on my Youtube channel with the help of my beloved husband who has taken on the role of video editor and web master.  But I have also found time to do some more colouring.  Since my last Enchanted Forest update I have completed two new pictures.  As I’m working (mostly) in order these two are the very popular Owl and the squirrel.  At first i thought about using matching colours for the background as the two pictures are obviously meant to be a pair.  But then I decided to do an Autumn and Winter theme using cool colours for the owl and warm for the squirrel.

EFSquirrel1

Both pictures are coloured with Faber Castell Polychromos pencils and Derwent Artist pencils.  I used reference photographs of red squirrels to approximate the squirrels colours and played around with the pattern in a way that would not overwhelm her oranges and browns.  I particularly like how the ivy at the bottom of the picture came out and will be using that idea again for other ivy in this book.

I’m also enjoying my new ‘toy’ recommended to me by a friend in my colouring group.  This is a Derwent electric eraser.  It is loaded with replaceable eraser sections.  Holding down a button on its shaft causes the eraser to vibrate making rubbing out of small details much easier.  It’s pretty effective at removing most of the coloured pencil I want to get rid of, as much as any standard eraser can manage in any case.  I’m very glad I’ve bought it and use it almost exclusively now for erasing and i recommend it if you are having difficulty with getting rid of fiddly little bits.

WP_20151028_11_01_28_Pro-1

1. Kiera

Your choice of colours is inspiring, your skills when completing pieces out of selected books is out of this world! I have now started looking into using different colour choices myself, and i will be continuing to follow you work 🙂

2. Ann

Pete, could you tell us how you achieved the look on the ivy? I love your work & the videos ar very instructive, I am learning so much. My Derwent eraser & Faber Castell pencils arrived in the mail yesterday & I am anxious to start using them! Keep up the good work. ? Merry Christmas! ???

3. Sabrina

Love your work! Please so more Pics of enchanted Forest.
    Grettings from Germany

4. Irina

That’s amazing work! Such a great colors. Could you please recommend good pencils for start. Thank you.

Hi Irana. If you check my YouTube channel you’ll find a video where I discuss and demonstrate eight different types of coloured pencils.

5. Mari Brady

Dear Peta:

I have gotten so much from your tutorials. Thank you! I’ve been working on backgrounds using pastels which, thanks to you, have turned out beautifully. I’ve tried backgrounds with pencils but have not been as successful. Do you have any suggestions on how to have a smoother effect? Thank you again for taking the time to do the tutorials and helping bring my pictures to life.

Hi Mari. I am working on a video series where I show how I colour a picture in Enchanted Forest step by step. In the first episode I colour in the sky using the same technique as I used in the Dawn Forest double page spread. I hope that it will answer most of your questions. It will be available on YouTube later this week.

1. Mari Brady

Thank you so much! Like everyone else who writes you, you have inspired me and brought my pictures to life. I send the Enchanted Forest and Secret Garden postcards to friends and family. The joy getting these cards in the mail brings to them is priceless, especially my cousin with Alzheimer’s. Thank you again!

6. Gayle

How did you do the owl background in the Enchanted Forest? I love the picture and your videos.